Wash basin waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I seem to have turned what was a simple job into a nightmare!

I've replaced a basin in our bathroom with a sink/vanity unit. The basic problem is I cannot get the waste pipe to connect from underneath the basin to the pipe coming out of the wall. The 2 ends are different heights, but too close together to run 2 90 degree turns to match the heights. There isn't a lot of horizontal room to the outlet of the bottle trap either, as the plug hole in the new sink is set quite close to the wall.

There are 2 drawers, and the top drawer has an indent/cut out which slides either side of the bottle trap. This stops me from using any sideways pipes to gain me some extra room. The bottom drawer stops me using an adjustable trap and simply lining them up for a straight run- which would be the perfect solution, and the first thing I tried.

I have managed to squash a flexible pipe in place, but it is basically an S shape and doesn't look overly happy! However it seems to be working.

Under testing I got water seeping out of the join between the trap and sink waste. I figured the join was under stress from the flexible pipe and tried to adjust it to remove the strain. This seems to have been successful. However I don't feel 100% confident that it will hold long term, and if it starts seeping again, I really don't know what I can do to fix it.

I have had the idea of running either silicon or plumbers putty around the outside of the bottle trap connection. Although it won't look pretty, I think it should seal it as the water isn't under any pressure and was just a couple of drops of seepage. I'm wondering if doing this now would be a good idea before it potentially starts leaking.

I apologise to any plumbers in for what must seem like a total bodge job. I can't believe it's turned into such a tricky problem.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Is the outlet through the wall lower than the outlet from the trap? Telescopic trap would overcome that. Photo would help us understand better what the issue is, if you can take one?

Show some pics ,and don't put plumbers mait or silicone on the traps compression fittings.

Sponsored Links
TBH the outflow in the wall should have been modified to suit the new vanity unit's placement/design, or the placement of the vanity unit should have been set with the position of the waste pipe in mind if it couldn't be moved.

Usually it is possible to catch the pipe with bends etc as you suggest but when you have a 2 drawer vanity with the first drawer with the cutout then placement of the unit needs to be spot on, as you don't have a lot of wiggle room.

A pic would help us for sure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back