Washer/dryer screaming: Hotpoint BWD129

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 8 yr old (ish) Hotpoint BWD129 washer dryer. An hour or so ago, as it entered the spin cycle, it's started a really horrible screaming sound - the kind that makes you run up and shut it off *immediately*. Having rescued the washing, the filter is completely clear. When I rotate the drum by hand *anticlockwise* there's a "clicky/rubby"noise (sorry, not sure how to describe it better than that). When I go clockwise, I get the same, but there's a definite sticking point, needing a little bit more force to turn it.

Any suggestions out there folks?!
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Definately the drum sticking? Remove the belt and see if results are the same.
Should be easily accessible from the rear panel.

Haven't had chance to check on that yet - annoyingly will be Saturday at the earliest before I have time ...
Fortunately no school next week, so kids uniforms don't need washing urgently!! :D

Another simple check is to pull the door seal away (not off) from the drum just to see if theres any visible items of clothing,like a sock, wedged between drum and housing.
Get a torch and shine inside drum and look through the holes to see if you can see anything obvious, should be clear!

If drum still stiff after removing belt:
Locate the drain pump and follow the pipe that goes to the underside of the drum, remove the pipe at drum end and look for obstructions.

If drum free-wheels after removing belt:
Check the motor freely spins, check motor brushes if not.

Sponsored Links
Thought for a few seconds you were a star there when I found (the remains of) a sock caught in the gap between mesh drum and external drum ... but that's not actually solved it. Had my head in the drum and have inspected all holes (yes, all holes) together with looking through to see if I could spot anything the other side. Can't see anything that looks obvious at all. Scrub that. There's a metal piece (for *example* the underwire from a bra ...) at around 5 o'clock as I look from the load hatch, 2/3 depth so towards the back of the washer.. Looks like it's not moving, but is catching on the drum seam as the drum rotates. Will see if I can get at it from the drain pump - if not, is there any other obvious means of getting to it? I don't see an easy way of getting it back through the drum mesh itself ...
This is fantastic help, even if I don't manage to sort it - so very many thanks!
Tim

I am a star! There was something stuck in there.

The simplest solution to prevent this ever happening again is to tell your wife to stop wearing bras!

But seriously, if its not accessible from the drain/sump possibly look at where the drying assembly fits on top of the drum and decide for yourself whether you think removal would assist. Probably need security star torq bits to remove though.

Other than struggling and lots of swearing for a few hours working it out through the drum holes the only other option and rather drastic is to remove the drum but then it may be a sealed drum in which case you can't even do that.

Good luck!

P.s. tell the wife she looks much better without a bra.

If you haven't found the other remains of the sock might be best to remove drain pump/sumo and check they are clear anyway othewise you will get draining problems if it gets caught in the sump filter.

Sorted. Removed beater bar, leaving a few bigger holes to get at it. Was indeed an underwire ...
Moral of this story - she's not having bras any more ... :LOL:
Many thanks for your help - extremely appreciated!

Nice work!

Surprised you were able to get to it from the paddle holes but you managed it, well done!

Good news! About never wearing bras again and removing the underwire. Whenever I'm in Cheshire I shall keep a look out for her :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back