Washer size advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4A14F5CA-9AC6-4F51-9E46-C8220CEF696B.jpeg
0239B483-48C1-455B-BA05-C543937B9192.jpeg
I got a plumber in to change our bathroom suite and, among many other problems, he’s left me with a leak in the compression joint that connects the flexible tap hose to the fixed piping.

When I opened it up I could see there was no washer in the connection. I thought there must be a washer needed.

I tried a bog standard 1/2” washer but that didn’t fit. My own measurements suggest I needed a 17mm washer with an 8-10mm bore (3.5mm width on the washer).

But a washer like that is hard to find and I think ‘surely this must be a really common thing’? So I feel like I’m missing something...

Any helpful input please?

Photos show the end of the flexible hose section and the (opened) compression joint in situ.

Sponsored Links
Compression fitting needs an olive, you sure there isn`t an olive tucked in the nut?

If you are trying to connect the isolation valve (chrome coloured) to the short piece of copper tube with the earthing strap just below the brass nut (right hand side of your second picture), then:

1. As just pumps has said, you need an "olive", not a washer.
2. An olive is just a ring of brass or copper which fits over the pipe. The outside of the ring is slightly domed. When the nut is done up, it squeezes the olive between a chamfer on the inside of the nut and another on the inside edge of the fitting. This squeezing seals the inside of the olive onto the pipe and the outside onto the fitting, creating a water tight seal.
3. There may well be an olive remaining inside the brass nut on the copper pipe. If you can't pull that brass nut off the pipe with gentle pressure, the chances are the olive is still in there.
4. If the olive is still there, try doing the joint up again, making sure all is square as you screw the nut onto the thread of the isolation valve. If it still leaks, replace the olive.
5. If you have to replace the olive, you'll have to remove the old one. There are various ways of doing this, but:
5a. Make sure you don't damage the pipe or the new olive may not seal.
5b. You may have to move the earthing strap down to get at the olive. Don't forget to fasten it up again tight when you have finished.
6. If the olive is missing, remove the nut, clean up the pipe, replace the nut and tighten up with a new olive.
7. If you can get copper olives, they are softer than brass ones, and easier to get tight. However, its not that important, so use brass if that's all you can get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back