Washing Machine blue flash round the door when switched on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm a newbie.
I've just moved in to a new house (rented) and I used the washing machine last night. I switched it on there was a loud bang and a blue flash round the door. This continued through the wash maybe 3-4 times. I actually thought that i had imagined the first one when I switched it on. I managed to switch it off and get the clothes out.

I've phoned my estate agent and they don't seem that concerned by it. Am I right in thinking this is quite a serious fault and I need an electrician out.

L

Sponsored Links
Bangs & blue flashes sound ominous. If your rental agreement includes appliances I expect the responsibility to sort it out rests firmly on your landlord/estate agent.

if they are recalcitrant send them a letter describing it and asking for their assurance that it is safe.

Agents hate this because if your lifeless corpse is discovered next to the machine, they won't be able to pretend they didn't know.

Was the item pat tested , it should have a sticker on the side to say it is safe to use. Every electrical item should be pat tested once a year bit like boilers to show they are safe to use. Every rented property should have this.

Sponsored Links
there is no law or regulation requiring that in domestic properties.

Hi thanks for all your replies.

they are sending someone out tonight to look at it. I've requested that the electrician tonight checks all the electricals as some of the plug sockets seem loose which they have agreed to do.

John D I think I will send a letter to be on the safe side (loved the comment about my lifeless corpse!) as there are a few other things wrong with the house like the plumbing in the bath etc.

L

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back