Washing Machine Brushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
washing machine packed in (or at least making a lot of crackly noises)
would guess it needs a set of new brushes - these look a bit worn
xwash-4056.jpg

Can't find the exact code number on any spares sites
Bosch Washing Machine WAB28061GB11

Loads of stuff looks very much the same, is it worth just taking a chance or is it more complicated than that

Sponsored Links
Looking at 'gone's' site I can't find your model number.

If you measure the length, width and thickness of the brush box, this will give you a starting point.
You should use a vernier callipers because some brushes can be slightly odd-sized, such as 16.5mm though it is not absolutely critical in these circumstances. You could measure the remaining brush to get the width and depth. You may be able to look for them using the sizes. If the only suitable ones you can get are too long, you can gently trim them to length with a fine-toothed junior hacksaw. Most towns/cities usually have at least one appliance repair shop and, if you take the old ones with you, they will be able to find you a replacement set. Don't worry too much about the grade as these things tend to come in medium grade.
Looking at your picture they look like they may be 322 grade 40 but it's been a number of years since I changed brushes so these may just be the makers marks.

so providing the width and the depth are very close (and not smaller) , and they look almost identical than they should work. ?

if so, I will just order some, it would be a crying shame to bin it off for £10 worth of brushes.

Sponsored Links
Yes if you can get the sizes go for it. If they are a shade too wide, or too thick, just give them a gentle hand sand on a piece of glasspaper.

Try googling WAB28061GB, without the 11 on the end, as it's often written as WAB28061GB/11

Just double-check before ordering, it looks like there may be different motor options.

Most parts sites deliberately won't tell you the actual part code, they all use their own to stop you shopping around. But if you can get this code from Bosch or elsewhere you'll probably find loads of them - it's just that the sellers haven't specifically listed it for your particular machine.

Just in case anyone searches for brushes for a bosch WAB28061 washing machine; nothing seems to list parts for WAB, and everything seems to be for WAA WAE WAQ....

Anyway I was told the WAA/WAE would fit and I bought a pair of them, this is the packet they came in

They are now fitted and everything is working just fine.
xPartNo.jpg

so providing the width and the depth are very close (and not smaller) , and they look almost identical than they should work. ?

if so, I will just order some, it would be a crying shame to bin it off for £10 worth of brushes.

I spent hours trying to order new bearings for my exact washer model number, all I could find were the same number apart from the final character. I eventually worked out, that the last character indicated nothing more than the paint colour of the outside of the unit, a rare colour.

If the brush is too long, you can shorten it, as above, but I would suggest some final bedding in to shape with sand paper around the slip ring/comm. If they are slightly too wide or stick slightly in the holder, rub the sides down again with sand paper.

thankfully the ones I got just slipped in perfectly, but as you say they would be easy to reshape - is it just pencil lead?

I'd suggest looking up the podcast series "Dare to repair", by Mark Miadovnic (sic?), regarding the built-in (in)ability to repair modern consumer goods.

Brushless motors are a huge improvement, I made sure I got one the last time we got a new one after doing this awful job a few times in the past. Brushless ones obviously don't need anything changing, plus they don't spew black dust over the floor and are silent - you don't get the zzzz zzzz zzzzzzz noise at all.

The washer's currently on, I can only hear the water splashing about in it.

Sponsored Links
Back