Washing machines ... ARGH!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace my washing machine as the drum bearings or something are starting to go and, at 10+ years old, I just want to replace rather than fix.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH NEW WASHING MACHINES?!?

With my current machine I don't use the majority of progs. There's one that has a cycle time of approx. 60 mins which I can set the temp anywhere between 30 and 90 degrees. And there's another that has a cycle time of approx. 30 mins that again can be set at 30 - 90 degrees. So between these two progs my washing needs are met.

Now, you're met with an array of progs, most of which seem to have cycle times of 2 hours +!!! Some machines do have quicker cycle progs, however they're limited to lower temps and/or they suggest you can only put in partial loads.

And the manufacturers are crafty. When you look at most instruction booklets, specifically the program section (which you need a degree in English to decipher!), many of the cycle times just have an asterisk with 'see machine display.' No doubt this is cause most of the cycle times are ridiculously long.

All I want is a machine where I can put in a full load and set it for either 30 or 60 minutes at the temp I want. I don't want to be limited to 30 - 40 degrees e.g. if washing towels and bed linen, however neither do I want to put them on the available hotter cycles that run for a minimum of 2 hours, usually closer to 3 or more!

Happy New Year :(

Sponsored Links
C3DE7ABC-B44C-4D3E-8973-339BFB24BD78.jpeg

&

FB89E4F9-D99F-4965-BA36-060FADE927D0.jpeg

Just give me a friggin' prog that runs for 30 or 60 mins that I can set AT THE TEMP I WANT!!!

Eco wash ... cycle time 3 and a half hours ... no thanks!

:)

Our washing machine, an Indiset,has a myriad of programs all lasting silly times but it also has a 30 minute wash button. That actually lasts more like an hour by the time it's done it's thing but that gets used, by far, that most. Happy New Year everybody.

Sponsored Links
The thing is, different wash programs are so cheap to add, just a few lines of extra code and customers read more programs as equalling better. We just use one basic wash setting 90% of the time.

we’ve had two £600 machines both lasted less than 2 years.
£200 logic cheapie from currys does the job nicely.

Im of the opinion to spend cheap and spend the extra on a water softener. Thats what Ill be doing next

We have a Hoover Link 8Kg 1600 spin which has a load of programmes but you can alter the temp, spin speeds and time by pressing a few buttons. Has a 30min , and 59min programme as well as others. Had it 2 years now and my wife loves it. Might be worth having a look at.

We have a Hoover Link 8Kg 1600 spin which has a load of programmes but you can alter the temp, spin speeds and time by pressing a few buttons. Has a 30min , and 59min programme as well as others. Had it 2 years now and my wife loves it. Might be worth having a look at.

Send some picture of her then....:LOL:

We paid around £1,000 for a Miele machine (plus got £200 cashback as it was a promotion) around 6 years ago. Still have 4 years left on the 10 year warranty. On the other hand, I’ve had a £200 machine at work to wash the oily overalls, towels and rags. It lives outside in the yard with a tarpaulin over it to keep the rain off. It’s been crashed into twice as well. Still working well after 9 years.

The thing is, different wash programs are so cheap to add, just a few lines of extra code and customers read more programs as equalling better. We just use one basic wash setting 90% of the time.
This is the other STUPID thing, machines that you can connect to with your smartphone via an app 'download exclusive wash cycles' etc etc.

HOW PATHETIC!!!

Jokes aside it's farcical there's not a circa 1 hour wash with the freedom to select whatever temp you desire. All these ludicrous progs and cycle times with various limitations whether temp or the amount of clothes you can put in. And yes Benny, I definitely won't be spending £100's, setting myself a £250ish limit. An £800 washing machine, aye right!

We paid around £1,000 for a Miele machine (plus got £200 cashback as it was a promotion) around 6 years ago. Still have 4 years left on the 10 year warranty. On the other hand, I’ve had a £200 machine at work to wash the oily overalls, towels and rags. It lives outside in the yard with a tarpaulin over it to keep the rain off. It’s been crashed into twice as well. Still working well after 9 years.

We got about ten years from our Miele..... Got all Grundig appliances now

Ours was a mid-price one, bought 10 or 12 years ago and failed just out of warranty with a circuit board failure - a common one, due to a poorly speced capacitor. I repaired it with a higher spec. component and it has been fine ever since. Apart from some black at the bottom of the door seal, it looks new.

Yeah what I'm finding is I find a machine with suitable cycle times e.g. a 30 and 60 min wash, however you're limited to upper temps of 40 degrees. Seems if you want to wash at 60+ degrees (which I do as I say for towels etc) you need to put up with 2.5 - 3 hour cycles.

All that choice of progs ... except a basic one. Prob cause they know most folk would just slap it on that 99% of the time!

Sponsored Links
Back