washing machine engineer needed for motor rebirth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got myself an old Hotpoint electric motor (ancient toploader) which I want to drive a belt and turn a drum in my homemade scratter (it pulps apples) to save all that handcranking.

I need advice on the electrical connections. It has 5 wires - white, yellow, red, blue and a green earth. These leave the motor and end up fixed into a small 6 pin unit (apart from the green which fixes onto the body of the motor) which also has a grey and brown wire dangling.

The spindle looks as if it will not rotate the pulley wheel unless the 'clutch'? engages and I assume that this is controlled by somesort of switching?

Any advice on how to wire this beast up to drive a belt will be most appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
stevewilliams said:
Any advice on how to wire this beast up to drive a belt will be most appreciated.

Steve

It is very UN-likely you will be able to run this motor without the control board from the machine.

The voltage applied to the motor has to controlled to control the speed of the motor. Applying full mains directly to the motor will result in it running at extremely high speed with a good chance of mechanical break up.

The clutch does come into play when the motor spins the other way

As well as the control board from the washing machine you would need to know what interlock ccts. to short out. It would be much easier to get a proper motor( see link) http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZphoenixtrash these are just an example & not necassaryly what you require

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
not really, its desigend for a HP top loader not anything else, could stick it on ebay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back