Washing machine filling with waste water when not in use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

So our washing machine is filling with what looks like waste water when not in use.
I've got the drain hose raised right up to the underside of the worktop before coming back down and joining the sink waste on a spigot. The washer is on the left hand spigot and dishwasher on the right hand one.
I also even tried fitting what I thought was a non-return valve with no luck.
Please see pics and any advice appreciated.
Thanks!
thumbnail_IMG_0976.jpg

Sponsored Links
Check the cleanliness of the trap and waste pipework for partial blockage. If the water can't escape fast enough when emptying the sink it will back up and siphon down the machines waste pipe.

Do either sink take awhile to drain and make a gurgling sound. Both are signs of restriction in that pipework.
Can see a tide mark on a vertical pipe so you might want to check that connection there whilst you are at it.

Something doesn't look right about that waste/trap setup. The trap/outlfow should be much lower than that. Certainly the P trap compression outflow should be lower than the appliance spigot Tee.

The bottom piece of the trap's U bend should be connected the other way around onto the T Piece with the appliance spigot with the longer leg of the U section running downward before the compression connection is attached. The way it has been put together just now means that whole waste/Trap is full of water right up to the outflow.

Sponsored Links
+1. I'd look at removing the current 'U' section from the bottom of the Tee, replace that with a new P trap, and rejoin to the outgoing waste pipe lower down. Currently the whole setup is remaining full of water, and looks like the weight is going to cause the joint to come apart where the trap connects to the Tee under the left hand bowl.

Or alternatively, bin the lot, fir an appliance trap on each sink and common them into the waste pipe.

I am surprised that it does not flow back into the dishwasher but maybe that has some kind of non return valve. As stated the outlet to the waste pipe should be far lower.

I had to solve a problem with a pumped kitchen waste that had to go up to ceiling level. The pump has a poor quality non return valve which leaked and caused the pump to cycle every 10 min as the vertical stack of water leaked back into it.

I solved it with an oversized brass non return valve and adapters!

I had to solve a problem with a pumped kitchen waste that had to go up to ceiling level. The pump has a poor quality non return valve which leaked and caused the pump to cycle every 10 min as the vertical stack of water leaked back into it.

I solved it with an oversized brass non return valve and adapters!
:confused: and most likely shortened the life span of the motor.
All of which is not relevent to the post.

That waste is so wrong its unbelievable. Flip your u bend round and lower the outlet pipes as per my picture

IMG_20210807_145700172.jpg

That waste is so wrong its unbelievable
Erm, I must say that's a bit harsh.

I've seen an awful lot worse than that to be sure. All that's wrong is the waste has been put together to fit the the black outflow rather than the other way about.

All it needs a bit of jigging around .... drop the outflow of the black waste pipe a bit with a bit of 40mm solvent weld, take the bottom off the u bend off , turn it around and then fit it to the waste again .... that should solve it.

Quite an easy DIY faux pas and relatively easy to fix.

Erm, I must say that's a bit harsh.

I've seen an awful lot worse than that to be sure. All that's wrong is the waste has been put together to fit the the black outflow rather than the other way about.

All it needs a bit of jigging around .... drop the outflow of the black waste pipe a bit with a bit of 40mm solvent weld, take the bottom off the u bend off , turn it around and then fit it to the waste again .... that should solve it.

Quite an easy DIY faux pas and relatively easy to fix.
But at least he doesn't have to read all the speal about something not looking right and gurgling sounds and who says its diy. Solution clear and concise with photo provided, no doubt its all sorted now. Man up .

Oh be quiet ... man up, really?? .... silly person

It wasn't the solution, nor the the picture I responded to it was the opening comment that really wasn't needed. It isn't so wrong it's unbelievable, it could be a whole lot worse, it's simple as that, so wind your neck in.

It reads as if he is doing the work himself ... may have installed that himself has tried solutions himself and we are on a DIY site, I know what that says to me ... most of the professionals on here give a brand new poster the benefit of the doubt and don't make erroneous judgements unless it's an obvious wind up.

Erm, I must say that's really awfully a bit harsh:( and leave my neck out of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back