Washing machine fills then trips breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried different outlets, no luck. As soon as the motor tries to engage, it trips the breaker. Any one have any ideas? Is the motor bad or some other electrical part?
thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links
Er, at the risk of stating the very obvious, yes.

You can get a motor rewound, if you can do without the machine for a few days. Or you can buy a new motor, but the cost usually writes off the machine, unless it was a very expensive one!

I ordered a new motor. Hopefully it won't be too impossible to install. I was out of town over the last several days and will give it a try. Basic washing machines run $259US, don't know if this model was a higher end version or not, but not much higher, the motor cost $116+shipping, no tax, and I got a heating element for a dryer I have to repair too. (from http://www.appliancepartspros.com) Ordered on Tuesday, shipped on Wednesday and I had it by Friday, that's great and prices were good too.

You're right that just for a bit more money I could just purchase a new unit, but I'd like to learn how to fix this anyways and these forums and hands-on experience is really the only way to do it.

Thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links
I finally got over to attempt the removal/install of the motor. I unplugged the old motor and started the washer and no tripped breaker. Most likely verifies that the old motor is bad.

Ok, but here's my new problem. The motor has what appears to be a clutch type of unit on the shaft. Is there some kind of pin or allen screw that is needed to remove the clutch? Or should it slide out since I have removed the 4 nuts which attach the motor to a clutch plate?

Thanks, Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back