washing machine hose pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I need to connect up a washing machine that is 4 m. away from kitchen sink. Kitchen sink trap already fitted with nozzle for w/m connection. I bought an extension hose and hose pipe connector but not too sure on how to run it to the sink trap considered the quite long distance. I know that at some stage the w/m hose pipe has to be clipped above w/m water level but i do not quite know when. I was thinking of 1) running it up the wall above w/m water level right at the back of w/m then run it back to floor level and all the way to the kitchen sink when the hose pipe would run up again and connected to the trap....OR 2) i would run it from the back of w/m straight at floor level all the way to the kitchen sink when the pipe would go up above w/m water level and connected up to the trap, so hose pipe would go up only once. Which of the two would be best? It is a first floor flat so i would avoid drilling another 40 mm hole in the wall if i can avoid it. Thanks 4 your time.

Sponsored Links
Take the outlet pipe upwards from the machine to under work top level, and then i guess a gentle decline towards the sink waste would be best...saves too much strain on the pump as gravity will help the flow.
Avoid too many loops in the pipe.
John :)

i always have the high point nearest the w/machine stops any backflow into the machine.
as having the high point 12ft away gives 12ft of pipe where waste water can backflow and fill the drum when the w/machine pump stops.

i always have the high point nearest the w/machine stops any backflow into the machine.
as having the high point 12ft away gives 12ft of pipe where waste water can backflow and fill the drum when the w/machine pump stops.
Thank you very much for your time guys. Btw seco services, as i can not give a gentle slope to the hose pipe to the trap due to kitchen drawers getting in the way, is it ok to then run the pipe back down to the floor level to then run it along the skirting board to the kitchen sink and up again to the trap? or is it too many ups and downs?

Sponsored Links
as the waste is pumped from the machine it will go anywhere you put it, but when the pump goes off the low level pipework will all be full of water/sludge etc so it is not a good idea, i always like to go straight up to worktop level behind the machine then slope down to waste connection, surely you will have enough room behind a drawer to fit a 3/4" waste pipe, never seen many drawers that go all the way up to the worktop, get a bag of cable clips and some screws and get it fitted up behind the drawers :oops:

For what it's worth, I'd go for the thing you said you weren't inclined to do in your opening post - namely drill a hole though to the big outside directly behind the washing machine, and use the usual upstand and 40mm pipe. Much less likely to get a blockage in the long run! (pun intended)

For what it's worth, I'd go for the thing you said you weren't inclined to do in your opening post - namely drill a hole though to the big outside directly behind the washing machine, and use the usual upstand and 40mm pipe. Much less likely to get a blockage in the long run! (pun intended)
Thank you all very much for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back