Washing machine hot valve dribbling

J

jonathen

Hiya everyone,

I hope someone can help. I'm getting a new washing machine delivered tomorrow as my old one has finally given up the ghost. I've disconnected the old machine from the hot and cold pipes and have left those pipes attached to the valves on the copper pipes. Both valves have circular handles to turn the water supply off to said pipes. However, although the cold worked fine, the hot still dribbles water when in the off position. I have even removed the handle and used a wrench to turn the valve itself (it seems it can turn either way infinitely - is that right?) and if I turn it into the off position, it does cut 90% of the water flow, but still 10% is getting out - it filled a mop bucket in under an hour!

I've currently left the mains tap off but I need to use water between now and tomorrow afternoon - any ideas? Or is this just normal with a hot water valve?

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
only thing you can do is replace valve cost 3.00 from diy shop ,turn hot water off and undo the nut on valve to replace ,if the cold is ok you can turn it back on

as a temp measure you could attach one of the hoses to the hot and cold valves as the cold is not passing nothing will leak when you turn the water back on, remember to tell the guy when he is fitting the new machine so he expects a little water to leak out when he dsconnects the hose!!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I went out and bought a new valve as recommended by rocks1 - cost a tenner though! Still, the leak has stopped now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back