New Washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I now have a cold fill machine replacing hot and cold. I have fitted a blank to what I think is hot feed but no water comes through the cold. First use of the washing machine resulted in washing coming out hot so I may have the wrong supply blanked off. My two feeds are controlled by flimsy blue plastic valve switches. The one to what must be the cold feed is broken off so I cannot switch it on after switching the blank over. Do I need to have new section of cold feed pipe with valve fitted, or is there another ay of turning the cold feed on. Maybe I just continue using hot feed water?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can continue to use the hot feed, but it is a great waste of energy, as you have noticed the machine will use hot water to rinse instead of cold & the temp of your hot water may be too high for some programmes thus damaging delicate fabrics. It is not a big job to replace the tap on the cold supply, simply turn off the water at the stop cock, unscrew the old tap & screw on the new one using some ptfe tape, as the old olive may not give a perfect seal

Thanks for your reply.
Do I need to obtain a new tap, then cut off the existing one or wd it simply screw on to pipe end havine screwed the old one off? Please what is the type of tap called?

You need one of these I think:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18071/Plumbing/Washing-Machine-Accs/Washing-Machine-Valve-Without-C-V

Turn off supply, drain any water left in system. Holding existing valve with a spanner, undo chrome nut attaching valve to copper pipe. (Best have a bucket underneath if poss to catch any remaining water!) Remove nut and olive from new valve, (existing nut and olive will remain on pipe), put new valve on and retighten nut, dont overtighten! Turn water back on and check for leaks.

If in doubt, call a plumber!

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all the helpful advice. I called a plumber-OK fixed in about 5 minutes. I think I could do it next time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back