Do I need both hot & cold water supply to washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have copper upstands with hot and cold options for a washing machine but the hot is blanked off, never useds. As I have a new sink unit being fitted, as part of the works can I just do away with the hot supply to a washing machine altogether? Do washing machines just use the cold water supply?

Thanks,

Dain

Sponsored Links
The trend today is a supply of cold, mains pressure water alone. It's years since I've seen a machine with a hot water fill.
John :)

"need," no you don't.

If your HW is heated by gas, solar or some other fuel appreciably cheaper than electricity; and if the pipework is not so long that a lot of HW is wasted travelling to the machine; and if you have a machine that can use HW, then it will save you a bit of money and knock about ten minutes off the hot washing cycle.

It may also reduce the amount of soap sludge in the drawer.

Sponsored Links
unless it would really be in the way I would move it to still be of use in future hopefully by just cutting and capping the pipe.

Yep, older machines used hot and cold fill. The difference in temperature to the desired temperature was then achieved by the element or adding cold I assume. It could be said that the older machines were more energy efficient in this regard, in terms of cost at point of use. Specifically if the hot water was heated by gas. Although the older machines probably used more water and had less low temperature options (although those in the late 80s/early 90s had 30 degrees i'm sure).

But, to make white good cheaper, the manufacturers realised they could do away with the second inlet. This had to be more robust to cope with hot water. This meant that the machine should be cheaper at point of purchase and was also cheaper to manufacturer.

So now machines come with a single inlet [cold only] and rely on the heating element to do all the work.

Personally I like the idea [in theory] of a hot water feed, especially if you have gas heating. But, I can also see the benefits of not having one. Especially, as someone mentioned above, the hot water feed is a distance from the source.

They are still standard/common in commercial machines for obvious reasons.

The Hot water can be heated locally en-mass via a gas boiler. When you are dealing with washing on that scale, gas will be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I set it up like that a long time back when the (long gone) machine had both H & C inlets. It seems that it would be easier to just not to reinstate it now that the copper will need reworking for a new sink unit. It's just an obsolete compression joint waiting to get old and start seeping.

Thank y'all kindly.

Attachments

• P_20181015_170051.jpg
    P_20181015_170051.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 278
The trend today is a supply of cold, mains pressure water alone. It's years since I've seen a machine with a hot water fill.
John :)
Indeed, John. The last one I saw was in an hotel in 1990 - A Hoover keymatic from the 60's hardly used. Absolute monster weight wise. It was a shame to scrap it, but it had to be dismantled to move and carry out in bits.

Most commercial laundrette ones are still hot fill. They don't even have heating elements.

I have a domestic Hoover circa late 80s early 90s in the garage that also has a hot fill.

When I had to use a laundrette for a few years not too long ago I soon realised that they kept the boiler on around 30-40 degrees if you were lucky. The hot wash just fed water at this temp. The warm wash mixed in cold.

I always used the hot wash, as the warm was was....cold.....

So I used to badger them to make sure it was hot enough for a proper hot wash for certain items.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back