Washing Machine in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'd be interested in what people think of the following, and any helpful advice.

I want to put a washing-machine in a bathroom and here are the relevant details :

The machine is rated IPX4, power rated at 1850W, has instructions as to how to remove the plug if required, and the manual doesn't say anything about not putting it into a bathroom.
It will be going into an airing cupboard which is totally enclosed, and will be 1.1m from the edge of the bath - so, outside the Zones but within the 3m restriction on socket outlets.
The airing cupboard has the cold water pipe needed for the plumbing and is next to a basin, to which I will be connecting the drainage hose. The cupboard also has a small radiator at the back, which I will need to raise up to accommodate the washing machine.
It also has two switched fused connection units : one for the shaver/light, and one for the hot-air heater (max. 2kW). As far as I can tell, these are currently the only outlets on that particular circuit, which is protected by a 15amp wired fuse. There are three fuse-boxes in the house, all of them with wire fuses.

So, is it doable ? There is nowhere else to put the washer so hopefully it is, but here is what I'm planning :

I don't think there will be any problems with the plumbing but I'm not sure about the electrics! The circuit would seem to need a higher rated fuse (30amp) if the heater and washing machine were used at the same time but I can't see that happening and might even remove the heater, especially if it's necessary to be able to get the washing machine connected. Would it be possible to just change the current 15amp fuse to a 30amp one? I've also noticed that the actual fuse already there is in upside-down in the box but can't see how that matters...?
Also, because there is no RCD protection anywhere within the electricity supply, I was thinking of using an RCD protected Switched Fused Connection Unit with flex outlet, wired in to one of the other FCDs already in the airing cupboard.

Anyway, I have two choices : If people here think the above is OK, I will get in touch with the LABC and take it from there; but if you think it sounds a bit tricky or dodgy, I will get in touch with a local electrician. I would like to have a go at it myself, though. Although I have City and Guilds Certificates in plumbing and electrics, I don't have a Part P qualification, but I have done a lot of the training (especially on testing and the effects on other parts of the Building Regs, etc.) and do have The Electrician's Guide and the 7671 17th Wiring Regs. Therefore, this would be good experience for me, especially as I hope to do more such work as a self-employed handyman.

Maybe you're all going to warn me off this and suggest I try a different career (!) but I would be grateful for any feedback.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You cannot have a socket outlet within 3m of bath/shower tray.
I would suggest removing the plug from the appliance and fitting a 13A fused connection unit instead of socket outlet and hard wire the appliance, I would personally install the FCU so it was easily accessible, for isolation purposes.
You will require RCD protection for bathroom and cables will need to be routed if buried less than 50mm within wall in the permitted safe zones.
Basin waste is normally 32mm, a washing machine requires 40mm waste, so you may need to upgrade the waste pipes.

OK, thanks for the info.
The short bit of cabling will be in the airing cupboard, next to the two FCUs that are already there, so hopefully that would be alright.
Do you think an RCD protected FCU would do in this situation?
As for the waste pipe, it looks like I will need to do some upgrading. Thanks.

"The short bit of cabling "
Make it a long bit and the drain hose. Once you have a machine connected to an FCU (or any other non-socket outlet) then you'll need considerable room to move the machine out and get behind to reach the FCU, clean, repair etc

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for the info.
The short bit of cabling will be in the airing cupboard, next to the two FCUs that are already there, so hopefully that would be alright.
Do you think an RCD protected FCU would do in this situation?
You will need to confirm the circuit arrangement and that you actually have enough current for the load required by W/M, any cable buried less than 50mm within walls requires 30mA RCD protection if not mechanically protected, as it is a bathroom it is both cable and appliance that will require RCD protection, so a RCD protected spur would not satisfy the requirements.
If you already have 30mA RCD protection on the circuit(such as at the consumer unit/fuse board) then additional RCD protection is not required.
As for the waste pipe, it looks like I will need to do some upgrading. Thanks.
I tend run 40mm from W/M route under basin to outside drainage, then tee in to that pipe with 32mm reducer from basin. You will find that W/M waste traps will be of the 40mm type.

Thanks again.
There is no RCD protection anywhere because the fuse board is wire fuses. How could I RCD protect the appliance and cable without changing the fuse board? Is it not possible?
Your suggestion about the waste pipes is a good one.

As for the length of cabling, I meant the cable between one of the FCUs that is already in the cupboard and the new FCU I was planning on adding. The flex from the washing machine into the FCU should be long enough for any moving, etc. I hope so, anyway!

Ah, I understand. Wouldn't want you to squeeze in and be identified by dental records years later :D :D :D :D :D .
Seriously, I've done some commercial kitchen design and snagging and it's amazing how often the installers have underestimated the space/length of connectors needed to get to the back of machines leading to pulling and failure of connections. Gets even more crazy with gas hoses

There is no RCD protection anywhere because the fuse board is wire fuses. How could I RCD protect the appliance and cable without changing the fuse board? Is it not possible?
There are a number ways:
*board change to one with RCD protection
*you could install RCD external of the board covering all circuits or the circuit under discussion.
*you could install a RCD protected 13A spur from the circuit under discussion, immediately after the source from where the spur is taken. therefore restricting any length of buried cable to the absolute minimum, then either install W/M flex to that or route cable to more convenient location and use an isolation or flex outlet for the W/M connection.
*or surface mount the cable before RCD spur. this can be clipped direct, in trunking or conduit.
*have cable buried greater than 50mm (this includes both sides of wall) but there are also regulations on permitted depths of chase to depth of wall. no greater than 1/6th horizontally and 1/3rd vertically of skin/leaf of wall thickness.
*mechanically protect cable if buried less than 50mm. This can be metal conduit or SWA, ali-tube/Flexishield, piro etc...

So there are number of options!
Please note the requirements of socket outlets are different and would in most cases require RCD protection, regardless of cable routing.

Lots of good advice there - thanks!

Makes it less likely that I will need to be identified dentally... :confused:

As it's in the airing cupboard, if it was me, I would ignore the 3m from bath socket outlet guidance because an airing cupboard is basically an enclosed room with a door (it's no different to a socket outlet in the wall just outside the bathroom door is it?). Although, the circuit supplying the heater and shaver socket FCU's is a 15a radial-you need to change the fuse wire to 20a wire or install a 20A MCB if the circuit is in 2.5mm t&e to avoid nuisance tripping (a 32a fuse/breaker can only be used if the cable supplying is 4mm or thicker). Some old fuse boards accept retrofit MCB's which can simply be plugged in: http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-20a-sp-type-b-curve-mcb/80070 Then use a 30ma RCD socket in the cupboard for the washer: http://www.screwfix.com/p/safetysure-13a-2-gang-rcd-unswitched-plug-socket-white/80534

In terms of the drain, if the basin waste is 32mm, it is a bit small, but will be fine if you install one of these inline to prevent air locks/siphoning: http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/424903

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back