Washing machine leak: What sealant to apply to outer drum bolt heads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took the back off my 23-/24-year-old Indesit WG1130TGT washing machine as the drum was either jerking round or not going round at all. I noticed that the back of the outer drum, which contains the wash drum, had been leaking from around the bolt heads as there was washing powder residue streaked down. The leaked water had run down onto some wiring below it and into the JST spade terminal connector block mounted on the motor, causing corrosion of some terminals and burning of the plastic connector housing, indicating shorting had occurred. Anyway, I've put new connectors on he wires and am going to reposition them, so that problem's fixed. (Btw, there's plenty of carbon rod left in the motor brush assemblies; lack of rod could have been part of the problem, but it clearly isn't.) The question is: What sealant should I use on and around the bolt heads of the outer drum to stop the water leaking? General-purpose silicone sealant? I noticed some kind of aerosol spray leak fixer when browsing but I don't want to buy something that won't work in my particular situation. Note that the bolt heads are rusty.

IMG20231013083457.jpg.xcf.png

Above pic showing evidence of water leakage from around bolt heads on back of outer drum.

IMG20231015180948.jpg.xcf.png

Above pic showing close-up of back of outer drum with washing powder residue cleaned off, and rusted bolt heads.

Sponsored Links
Fernox LSX is a rubbery sealant that stays flexible.

It is sold on plumbers counters, not mechanics.

Once you take the lid off and expose to air, it starts setting immediately, so get everything ready. It is very difficult to get off your fingers, tools and clothes.

In your case it looks like the seal is the bolt flanges, or washers. It is not usually the thread. Wire brush any rust off as it roughens the surface. There is no point putting sealant on or around the bolt heads.

You can get replacement flanged bolts. I would use stainless (grease the threads).

1697476157112.png

Last edited:

Once you take the lid off and expose to air, it starts setting immediately, so get everything ready. It is very difficult to get off your fingers, tools and clothes.

In your case it looks like the seal is the bolt flanges, or washers. It is not usually the thread. Wire brush any rust off as it roughens the surface. There is no point putting sealant on or around the bolt heads.

You can get replacement flanged bolts. I would use stainless (grease the threads).

View attachment 317259

My (limited) experience of using Fernox is that it sets faster when it gets wet.

Sponsored Links

View attachment 317259
Hi, thanks

I'm a bit concerned that, if I undo a bolt, I'll hear a 'clink' sound coming from inside the outer drum if there's a nut on the other end and it is not welded to something otherwise fixed, so the nut falls onto the bottom of the drum, meaning I'd face having to take the wash drum out, which, from what I've read, is not trivial. On the other hand, the bolts may be screwed into a threaded hole, so no nut involved, in an otherwise fixed plate or something, meaning no problem (obviously, I'd be replacing each bolt one at a time rather than take them all out and have something inside fall down). The only service manual I could find online was for a bunch of similar models but the exploded diagrams were not helpful as they did not show any bolts in the position mine are in and I had to online-translate the text from Turkish, which was only partially successful. Do you think I should just go ahead and replace the bolts, one by one?

Are you sure the bolt holes are leaking and not something leaking onto the bolts causing them to rust? Seems unlikely rust-able bolts would be used for an immersion application.

Last edited:
Are you sure the bolt holes are leaking and not something leaking onto the bolts causing them to rust? Seems unlikely rust-able bolts would be used for an immersion application.
Definitely coming from the bolts. I guess Indesit were like, "People'll replace the machine long before the bolts rust".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back