Washing Machine making VERY loud noises!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Firstly, I have no experience mending washing machines. But I guess I'm not stupid.

We have a Hoover Performa 1100 WA 110 wash/drier. It's approx 6 years old.

Over the last few weeks it's started to make increasingly loud noises whilst the spin cycle is running. It sounds as if the bearings have worn out and are rubbing badly, the noise is almost deafening. However, a quick look with the back cover off shows that it's simply a strong motor connected to a "fan-belt" type arrangement, which is itself connected to the drum.

So, I guess I need to replace the motor? Or does anyone else know of a commonplace situation where unblocking debris, or adding some grease might help?

Thank you in advance.
Carey Marks

Sponsored Links
The bearings have indeed worn out.

It's a frustrating and difficult job if you don't have the right knowledge and/or tools. If you want to DIY then the first step is to purchase a 'bearing and spider' kit for your model of machine.

It will look something like this:

012530.jpg

This site has lots of goodies for you to look at:

http://www.tdspares.co.uk/products.asp?cat=195

as its 6 years old, and you dont have the right tools, i would scrap it :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice gents.
I reckon it's good advice to replace it. If I go through the pain of replacing bearings just to find something else goes in a few months....

Arrgh!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back