Washing machine on solid floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen a lot of discussions of washing machines on suspended floors but not much on solid floors. I am putting laminate throughout ground floor, and wonder what to do about the washing machine. My options are:

1. Leave a hole in the laminate to place the washing machine on the screed. This will probably be optimal for the machine's stability but I expect issues with getting it out (it will be enclosed under worktop).

2. Place the machine over laminate. Ideal for moving the machine but I am worried for the flooring itself (it is supposed to be floating but the machine may prevent it from moving as it's heavy?) and the machine (7mm fibreboard underlay will make the flooring somewhat soft). There can also be an issue if the machine leaks.

3. Place a sheet of some material (chipboard for example) under the machine (instead of laminate). This sheet is supposed to match the height of the flooring so will help in moving the machine. I would say, this sheet should actually be thicker; I am unlikely to find anything exactly 17mm thick which is the height of underlay + laminate.

Any ideas what to choose please?

Sponsored Links
1,seen that done with tiles and its a hell of a job to get it out.also if you have to open the filter drain plug,more hell.
2,the floor is floating but any expansion will still happen under the WM similar to heavy sofas etc. The weight of the WM will push down on the underlay.
3,this is what i have done in the past,fix a square panel of 18mm plywood on the floor, ,keep it 3-5mm away from the cupboard sides and laminate so vibration/noise is not conducted.screw up the WM feet/legs. This has worked well for me.

Dont worry about water leaking,

Fix the plywood with 4 screws with rawlplugs.

screw up the WM feet/legs
Screw the legs/feet into the appliance to give more top clearance. Although i have used them feet fixings but just as an aid to get a WM into position first time when fitted in a tight under work top area, not really necessary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back