Washing machine parts availability

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Summary - Which washing machine manufacturers have good spare parts availability?

My 30 year old Philips washing machine has finally given up the ghost. The cost and hassle of trying the replace the rusted main bearing doesn't seem worth it, even though it does seem possible to still get the parts (I fitted a new pump only 4 years ago).

When I buy a new machine I want to maximise the chance that in 30 years I will still be able to buy spares for it (Yes, I know that there is no guarantee of long term availability). A colleague told me that his father was trying to repair a fairly modern machine and was told that parts were only supplied to approved repair men, but he couldn't remember the make.

So, which companies are happy to sell spares and which ones have a "You'll use one of our approved engineers and like it!" policy.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i'm in the trade. to my knowledge all manufacturers will be happy to take your eyes out by selling you spares. I very rarely use the manufacturers myself.
from a General Public point of view i think other pro's will agree that bosch have a very helpful, speedy and reasonably priced spares back-up.
miele have good machines but their spares costs are obscene.
re your phillips the bearings and seals are available the crucial factor would be the condition of the drum shaft.

Thanks for the reply. We were already thinking about possibly having a Bosch, so we will take a closer look at them.

I spent some time trying to get the old Philips bearing off of the shaft, but it is badly rusted. Anyway, I had already agreed with her indoors that if it packed in again she could have a new one!

Sponsored Links
Bosch are good but don't expect to get 30 years out of it. If you can still get parts for your existing machine it is more by luck than design. There are still some of the old AEG 2 door machines around (the Centurian tank of washing machines) but even these now have to be scrapped when the hoses perish as they are obsolete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back