washing machine socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So... the socket for my washing machine doesn't work. I had a look inside it and couldn't see anything obv wrong. There's an isolation switch above the counter, and I tried to have a look inside this but the brass looking bar that holds it all together on the inside is apparently immovably fixed to the screwholes for screwing the thing to the wall, so I can't look inside the switch itself, which seems odd. I've checked the main fuse box, nothing wrong there, and the washing machine works in other sockets, and the toaster doesn't work in the washing machine socket if you see what I mean.

The socket behind my fridge didn't used to work but does now, and there's another one in the kitchen that didn't work but does now (although it's possible that they always worked and I was just being thick and a bit harrassed moving into a new house!). A fella from the electric meter company came round the other day and plugged a thingy in which said everything (circuits etc) was working ok.

Any ideas will be gratefully received, I am a novice at this stuff but a quick learner, and more importantly, I've no money for a sparky so if I can't fix it myself it's gonna have to stay broke!

:confused:

Sponsored Links
There's an isolation switch above the counter

That would seem to be the place to look and test.
It must come off (turn the power off before you try, as there may be a loose wire in there).

Post some photos if you are still mystified as to how it comes out.

Does the isolation switch above the counter contain a fuse?

i.e as in a fused spur?

Before doing any work please make sure you are working safe, and have switched everything off at the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
fixed it! I opened up the fridge isolator switch which was working to see what was different, and in the washing machine one, both the green and yellow wires, were connected to the same thing, whereas in the fridge one they were in two separate ones. So I switched them around to match the fridge one and it all worked. Makes me wonder who wired it all the wrong way round in the first place and why. Also, during the process managed to break two of the four screws holding the switch plates to the wall, nescesitating a trip to the hardware shop etc. Why are these things always more difficult than you think they'll be, and usually involve banging your head on a sharp corner too?

Having two earth wires in the same terminal is not going to cause a problem..

My guess is theres a loose connection in that switch you've removed, and replacing it has made a slightly better connection than before!

Well I think you should. Moving the earth wire will not have made a functional difference so (per the above posts) you probably have a bad connection with the other (live) wires.

Best to undo it and make sure, for sure.

indeed, a bad connection will just sit there sizzling undetected. It will not trip a protective device until it shorts, by which time significant damage will be done or a fire started.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back