Washing machine tight fit under work top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Yesterday our freestanding washing machine was put under a new work top but there is no gap between the top of the machine and the work top. I was just wondering if this is ok or if there should be a gap. My concern is that when the washing machine is in use, the vibrations will hit the work top and follow through the fixings into the brick wall, possibly causing cracks over time.

Would be grateful for any thoughts or advice.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If there is no gap, then how was it put into place? If in contact with the worktop, then any vibration will be transmitted to it. The real question is why a washing machine designed to fit under a worktop does not have the clearance. If it were on standard units, there should be no problem.

Thanks, I will take a look at the feet.

It is just a standard sized washing machine, currently 85cm high with the feet as they are, but the kitchen fitter has fitted the worktop too low and somehow managed to push the washing machine underneath it so the top of the washing machine is touching the bottom of the worktop. I tried to pull it out earlier and it's pretty wedged in, so I'll have another go with some help.

Unfortunately there's also a leak from the pipe next to it so it's gotta come out for the leak to be fixed too.

Sponsored Links
Has the kitchen fitter fitted the base units too low or something? Often they are on adjustable feet with a central datum to set them to.
You'll have to sort this one I'm afraid - washing machines all have to come out from time to time.
John :)

When it's on a fast spin, I'm sure the vibrations will go through the worktop and units and make a racket.

Many feet on machines aren't adjustable. Mine aren't. However, they are made of thick plastic or rubber, and you might be able to shave a few mms off. If there is flooring under the machine, you could remove this where it doesn't show with machine in situ, to make machine lower.

Your fitter has dropped a clanger, as there should be some clearance.

Well the good news is the fitter has taken off the worktop and positioned it slightly higher so there's about 1cm clearance between washing machine and worktop.

Thanks for the advice.

So now all we have to do is get him to sort out the 6 leaks in various places around bathroom and kitchen that he's fitted. Oh well, I guess these things aren't always straight forward but we'll get there.

Was he cheap?

Are you paying in Zlotys?

;)

He he :LOL: I wish he was cheap, but no, he's an installer from one of the big home improvement stores.

So far all the wastes (kitchen sink, bathroom sink and bath) all have leaks, I think near the threads. And the other 4 leaks are in various other places like under hot tap, loo cistern, where the washing machine's connected and just near the radiator valve in bathroom. He's coming over later to take a look so hopefully it'll all get sorted.

The store may not have been cheap for you but I bet the installer was very cheap for them!

Was he cheap?

Are you paying in Zlotys?

;)

He he :LOL: I wish he was cheap, but no, he's an installer from one of the big home improvement stores.

So far all the wastes (kitchen sink, bathroom sink and bath) all have leaks, I think near the threads. And the other 4 leaks are in various other places like under hot tap, loo cistern, where the washing machine's connected and just near the radiator valve in bathroom. He's coming over later to take a look so hopefully it'll all get sorted.

We all get leaks from time to time but all fittings and joints should have been checked and double checked before he left the job. As an installer I don't like making connections just before I leave for the day. I like to check for leaks several times during the day. It doesn't surprise me that he was sent from one of the big stores.

My sister waited in all day for a gas fitter from C***ys to fit her new cooker. When he arrived he said he didn't do gas

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back