washing machine waste connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am toying with the idea of moving my washing machine upstairs to make room for a dishwasher in the kitchen. its new home is where a sink once stood so there are water and waste connections available. i want to avoid the possibility of flooding when the waste empties. can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
fair question! :) well i suppose what i want to know is what is the best way to attach the washing machine waste pipe to the existing sink waste pipe to minimise the chances of the waste water escaping. i think that a sealed connection with an air inlet valve is what i want, but i could do with advice from someone who has attempted this sort of thing.

the thing you mean is an air admitance valve.
Iused to work fas a washing m/c repair engineer.

the best way for a m/c to go to waste is a stand pipe (t'eed into existing waste) spigots often block with lint, air admitance valve would still require a t connection for m/c outlet

I would put stand pipe behind m/c if i were you.

When moving m/c be very carefull, put transit fixing back if you have it (stops drum from moving)

Sponsored Links
i just have an existing vertical waste pipe (with trap) from the old sink that i want to feed the wash m/c waste into. isn't there a junction of some sort that i can just stick on top of this to couple it up to the m/c waste tube?

no that is how it is supposed to be (called a stand pipe), you should have a grey U that is near the end of you appliance's waste pipe. you just hook this into the "standpipe"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back