Washing Machine waste filling bath!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, went to a mates rental property today as tenant complaining about a bizzare problem. Its a first floor flat, with bathroom kitchen on same floor. Washing machine is next to wall on other side of bathroom. Now the washing machine waste pipe is a 32mm pipe, which comes through the wall, under the bath, is connected to the waste pipe just after the bath trap with a push fit Tee.

Now when the washing machine empties the water, the water is actually coming up out into the bath through the trap! its a bizarre scene!

Is their a push fit tee available which only allows water to travel one way? or any other type of fitting I can use that would stop water going backwards into the bath? is the 32mm pipe ok or should it be 40mm? ive attached a picture of the problem plumbing

Sponsored Links
Why on earth was a reducer fitted into the bath trap. It's 40mm for a reason.

View media item 63376
The water is not draining fast enough, is then finding its own level, which - in this case - involves back-flowing into the bath. The 32mm pipe needs upgrading to 40, even 50mm because of the risk the washing machine could be on when someone is emptying the bath.

I just love that piece of ply the bodger has put down to catch the leaks.

the plumbing waste has been incompetently installed; the tenant needs to take it up with the landlord, the sooner the better, as an untrustworthy, penny-pinching landlord (which i can smell from here) will probably claim the tenant has caused a blockage. Also if you or your friend try an amateur reply, the landlord will probably try to blame (and charge) them for causing the problem.

Sponsored Links
I just love that piece of ply the bodger has put down to catch the leaks.

the plumbing waste has been incompetently installed; the tenant needs to take it up with the landlord, the sooner the better, as an untrustworthy, penny-pinching landlord (which i can smell from here) will probably claim the tenant has caused a blockage. Also if you or your friend try an amateur reply, the landlord will probably try to blame (and charge) them for causing the problem.

I agree with you about the landlord, but at least the Tenant has these photos to prove that the plumbing is naff !!

Anyone moving into a rented property should take as many photos as possible, of decor, fittings etc, preferably time stamped to safeguard themselves and their deposit. .

The waste needs to go out of the wall lower than the bath trap also bath trap needs to be a deep one you can see it's a perfect example of Billy bodge it at it again

I'd be wary of putting any sort of non return valve in, the 32mm pipe may not be man enough to handle the flow when the washing machine pumps out, and could cause a flood. At minimum the pipe needs upsizing to 40mm, and ideally two seperate wastes fitted in 40mm for bath and washing machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back