Washing Machine Waste Trap Height.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking to install a Washing Machine in a new location where there is no current waste pipe.
The Washing Machine will be about 3 metres from the nearest waste/soil pipe that exists the house.
The run is easy/straight, the only issue I have is figuring out how to approach the trap on the washer side.
The waste pipe exiting the house is 550mm high and the worktop the washer will go under is 850mm high, so have roughly 300mm which I think will be fine for the fall but wouldn't be enough room for a normal trap. Is there any type of trap that would work here or could I potentially just lower where the current waste pipe goes through the wall?
See attachment with a rough diagram.
Any help/advice is appreciate.

Washer.png

Sponsored Links
I think you'll be asking for trouble, having that short a standpipe on it. Washing machines do pump out at a fair rate, the standpipe allows for the level to rise slightly and give a better head of water to push the flow through.

Given the pipe will probably gunge up over time, and the length of run involved, I'd get it as low as you can, and standpipe as high as you can, or you may find out the hard way when machine comes to empty one day, water cannot get away fast enough and instead overtops and floods the room.

I think you'll be asking for trouble, having that short a standpipe on it. Washing machines do pump out at a fair rate, the standpipe allows for the level to rise slightly and give a better head of water to push the flow through.

Given the pipe will probably gunge up over time, and the length of run involved, I'd get it as low as you can, and standpipe as high as you can, or you may find out the hard way when machine comes to empty one day, water cannot get away fast enough and instead overtops and floods the room.

Thanks for the response.
The current waste pipe exiting the house potential could be lowered as much as I want on that wall, I assume there wouldn't be a problem if I drilled a new hole out below it and moved everything down, then use the highest standpipe I can get in there?
Not sure if there are regulations on how high the pipe needs to be exiting the house into the drain? The internal floor is about 500mm higher than the outside ground floor level where the pipe goings out and down into the soil drain so I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem?

As suggested, the main problem with using a standard appliance stand pipe is if you don't leave enough height on the vertical, the pumped water could overwhelm the pipe and end up all over the floor.

If you have no other option then maybe look at a anti vac running trap or waterless trap, then use a straight compression coupler on the end of what ever vertical you'll have and fit an appliance spigot into that, making it a sealed run. You will need to leave access to the trap to allow it to be removed and cleaned regularly.

th

Sponsored Links
Not sure if there are regulations on how high the pipe needs to be exiting the house into the drain?
No, just go as low as you reasonably can, will also give you options further down the line if required.

Waste pipe can go out at any height you want, new washing machine waste can be independent, you don't have to join in the existing waste, unless you want to tidy things up externally.

Thanks all, going to see if I can get it out the wall lower first and hopefully should then be able to then get a tall standpipe in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back