Washing machine waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a new washing machine which has a waste hose with the rubber end (i.e. no thread on it). Under the sink I have a washing machine waste inlet which has a thread (see picture). Can you please advice how do I connect this rubber end to the waste with thread? Do I need some sort of converter, or replace the whole trap, or anything else?

IMG_0334.JPG

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The self cutting appliance outlet that's fitted, the grey 90deg elbow isn't threaded, it's ribbed, it should allow the female fitting to grab the rubber end of the outlet hose and should just press into that and should be held tight.

That being said a far tidier solution is as Newboy suggests and to fit the McAlpine trap though just so you are aware, you will get gurgling noises through the sink when the machine drains.

Sponsored Links
The self cutting appliance outlet that's fitted, the grey 90deg elbow isn't threaded, it's ribbed, it should allow the female fitting to grab the rubber end of the outlet hose and should just press into that and should be held tight.

That being said a far tidier solution is as Newboy suggests and to fit the McAlpine trap though just so you are aware, you will get gurgling noises through the sink when the machine drains.

Thanks Rob,

I did try unscrewing the 90 degree small elbow (marked on the picture below) from the self cutting appliance and the hose fits perfectly into the opening . My only concern is the reliability of this connection as there wont be any tightening (i.e. no jubilee clips or anything else).
If I wrap the rubber end of the drain hose with some PTFE tape an push it in, is it going to hold and won't be leaking?

Thanks,
hose.jpg

Depends on how tight the outlet fits into the elbow, how tight that should be is an experience thing I'm afraid. If it takes a good bit to pull straight out then that should be a gauge. If it's in good condition then it should grip pretty tightly and should be ok and watertight. That elbow is the same type of fitting that's used for WM outlet extension hoses to join them together.

No, PTFE isn't suitable in this instance.

The McAlpine is a better all round solution if you're at all concerned.

That grey elbow thing is on the drain side of the pipework so smells will come up through the washing machine - go with the new trap and you're connecting above the water seal in the trap

Push the fitting in firm and secure tightly wrapping some insulation tape around join or you could even drill a tiny pilot hole through fittings then use a very small, short screw to lock it in position for peace of mind.

I wouldn't be drilling anything into the fitting, more liable to create a hole that couldn't then be sealed.

Though I usually do agree with Nige all day long ;), in this case, if the outlet pipe is curved and the end of the pipe is above the level of the bottom of the drain/pump in the WM then there will always be a water seal left in the WM drain and pipework as the pump cannot completely empty it dry.

"ducks head and awaits the incoming :p "

Again though, any concerns then replace with the McAlpine

Last edited:
Thanks all for your help, I will try different suggested solutions and will report back shortly.

Hi All,

Installed McAlpine Appliance Trap as suggested by Newboy.
Fits perfectly fine, works fine.

Thanks Newboy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back