Washing machine - what's making this noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Hotpoint WML540 has recently started making an unusual rhythmic noise when on spin (and only on spin - not the normal wash rotation of the drum).

Thought I'd try and record it to get some opinions, I've placed the .mp3 file into a .zip file (WML540 - audio.zip) and that can be seen in this message. (my PC is virus checked daily, it's clean - I assume that this messageboard also checks file when uploaded).

What does the noise sound like to people here? When I first heard it a few days ago I thought it was the bearings but on listening to it again today I'm not so sure.

Also, if it was the bearings wouldn't I also hear some sort of unusual noise when on the normal, much slower wash rotation?

Attachments

• WML540 - audio.zip
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Also, if it was the bearings wouldn't I also hear some sort of unusual noise when on the normal, much slower wash rotation?

Not necessarily. Try spinning the drum by hand, with it empty, and listening. The recording certainly sounds like the bearing are shot.

The water seals on the drum fail, allowing water to get at the bearings and wreck them.

The bearings on that machine are replaceable, if you feel up to it, and can be had for around £20. Where the bearings are none replaceable, the entire drum has to be replaced, cost of the drum around £150.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I've just tried spinning the empty drum by hand but can't hear anything.

Short of opening up the machine is there any way to tell if my particular unit has replaceable bearings? Maybe some kind of serial number lookup, manufacturing date, etc?

Or could I tell just by removing the machine's casing and looking inside without dismantling it in any way?

I assume that I would also need to replace the water seals?

Thanks for the advice. I've just tried spinning the empty drum by hand but can't hear anything.

Short of opening up the machine is there any way to tell if my particular unit has replaceable bearings? Maybe some kind of serial number lookup, manufacturing date, etc?

Or could I tell just by removing the machine's casing and looking inside without dismantling it in any way?

It does have replaceable bearings, the model you quoted. Spinning the drum by hand, it should spin perfectly silently - does it?

A noisy spin, if not the bearings, could be loose concrete weights. They have one top, one bottom.

Sponsored Links
Just re-tried a manual spin - seems to be okay, sounds the same as it always has, no excess noise.

So I guess I'll need to pull it out, remove the casing and take a look at the weights?

It does have replaceable bearings, the model you quoted. Spinning the drum by hand, it should spin perfectly silently - does it?

A noisy spin, if not the bearings, could be loose concrete weights. They have one top, one bottom.

I have never seen a concrete weight top and bottom.

I have seen top, but not bottom.

That said, I have only ever repaired about 10 different machines. Only 2 used concrete blocks.

How do I remove the metal cover to check the counterweights? It seems like I need to remove the top and also the front panel, but it's not immediately obvious how to remove the latter. I can't seem to find any kind of service manual or suitable details online.

Last edited:
Also, how do I remove the metal cover to check the counterweights? It seems like I need to remove the top and also the front panel, but it's not immediately obvious how to remove the latter. I can't seem to find any kind of service manual or suitable details online.

Top cover slides off, after undoing two screws at the rear. Front & sides come off, after releasing rubber surround and unplugging lots of plugs. Similar to this -

You might be able to check the weights are tight, just via the top, and from below, though.

Thank you kindly.

Edit: had a quick skim through it, looks like a real pain to remove the drum. However, if it's just a loose counterweight then that won't of course be necessary. As an aside, that looks like an interesting channel (I love repair videos) so it's also given me something else to watch.

Last edited:
Thank you kindly.

Edit: had a quick skim through it, looks like a real pain to remove the drum. However, if it's just a loose counterweight then that won't of course be necessary. As an aside, that looks like an interesting channel (I love repair videos) so it's also given me something else to watch.

Like many things, it can seem quite intimidating, but if you take your time, take photos along the way, it's not so bad. I had to do my drum bearings earlier in the year, I documented it on here. I think I spent a quite leisurely day doing it, despite struggling for space in my utility room - I only had a narrow corridor in which to take it apart, so less than ideal.

I'm one of those types, who quite enjoys fixing things, especially if there is nothing to lose - It was of an age where it wasn't worth anything, so it was well worth the gamble of ordering the parts, and having a go.

I also enjoy fixing things but in the case of anything relatively complex I prefer to have a technical/service manual on hand just in case I get stuck. Depending on my mood I can be impatient and get frustrated easily, plus I have intermittent back problems which makes life more difficult, specifically when bending/crouching down to take large things apart, moving heavy items, etc. Therefore I like to make the job as easy as possible.

I can see how to remove the top cover of my machine but have still not found anything detailed about removing the front of the WML540, not even any videos or pictures specific to doing that with the WML540 (I know about removing the spring loaded wire that holds the door seal in place but haven't yet looked into where all the screws are). A Service manual would be extremely useful.

I can see how to remove the top cover of my machine but have still not found anything detailed about removing the front of the WML540, not even any videos or pictures specific to doing that with the WML540 (I know about removing the spring loaded wire that holds the door seal in place but haven't yet looked into where all the screws are). A Service manual would be extremely useful.

It is really not that much different, from the Youtube video I posted a link to..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back