Washing machine won't rinse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My washing machine has recently stopped doing the final rinse. It will do the washing normally, but when it gets near the end of the program, it starts to pump all of the water out ready to do the really fast spin, but it never starts to spin fast. It just keeps trying to pump water out even though there's no water left to pump!

I've removed the rubber tube that comes from the drum, that's clear. Have also checked the exit tube, that it clear to.

Any ideas?

TIA

Sponsored Links
dont know anything about them, but i would guess its the cold fill valve, have you a multi meter?

you could also try putting the m/c on, and turn off the hot water supply to it, and see does it still fill, if it doesn't the cold fill valve has "gone"

w/m use cold water for rinse which is why yours doesn't work (maybe)

Sponsored Links
Both hot and cold water are getting to the machine fine. It's doing the wash fine. The motor can't be faulty because it is spinning during the wash bit of the program. It just won't spin fast after it's drained out all of the water.

There's a wide rubber pipe where the water exits out of the drum, which in turn goes to sort of box with a rotor in it, which in turn connects to the exit pipe where the water comes out of the machine. I've disconnected all these pipes but still no fast spin!!

put them back thats the outlet pump, last q, what happens if you tell the m/c to spin with nothing in it? if it spins it is a load balance fault, if it doesnt its a motor / control board fault,for which you will need an engineer

Whether there's something in the machine or not it still won't do the fast spin. So it could be a motor/control board fault.

How much (approx) do you reckon one of those would cost to replace? Would it be better to buy a new machine?

to be honest i havent a clue, it was rare that i actually had to charge a customer, and i do not know your particular brand of m/c, also what if i am wrong, (H*tp**nt i wouldn't)

i would suggest you get an engineer in to look, but do call the maker, not an independant (at least they will tell you for sure what is wrong)

Is this not something to do with the pressure switch? If this is blocked the machine will continue to try and pump water out and not go into spin. The pressure switch is operated by the plastic pipe running up the side of the machine. You need to check that it is all cleaned out.

No it's not pressure switch - i've checked the pipe to the swicth and even removed the pipe.

It's down to the timer dial and the PCB.

I have a similar problem with a Hotpoint 1200 W/D.

It seems that it goes thru' the wash cycle, but doesn't start to pump pre-rinse (ie program gets stuck).

I can manually put it to spin and it will (but the clothes still come out sodden and full of powder).

Current opinion is could be the programmer. Would you agree? Any idea how much one is?

Thx
L

It seems that it goes thru' the wash cycle,
Good start - it fills with water and washes.

I can manually put it to spin and it will (but the clothes still come out sodden and full of powder).

Interesting, I would have thought that if it's washed OK the powder would have dissolved - do you mean it's still full of soapy water? If it is spinning and the clothes are still wet it means that either the pump is not working or it's blocked. Can you hear water running out of the machine when it's on its drain cycle? That should happen at the start of the spin cycle.

The machine has a pressure sensor so that if it doesn't empty when it's meant to, it won't carry on and fill up (i.e. do the rinse). Odds on that it's something to do with the pump or waste pipe and not the programmer.

if there is soap powder in the m/c that means the hot valve is working, but if it is still in there and clothes wet, i would suspect:

motor (does drum move)

pump (unlikeley but possible)

slack drive belt

worn motor brushes

blocked filter

heater

what happens if you turn hot fill tap off when you start? m/c should still fill (with cold water) when it stops filling does drum move? if yes what next? what does dial do? when it stops for a while SLIGHTLY open soap draw (still can't spell that) and listen, should sound like kettle getting ready to boil, if it doesnt its heater/ its cut out

OK, switched off hot feed, same problem (program gets 1/2 way thru' then stops).
Not sure about the kettle noise bit.
However, - have handy dad who came and found element. This gets hot, so don't think this is the problem??

Any other ideas?

If not, any recommendations of manufacturere if I need a replacement? Think I'm going with just a washing machine not washer/dryer.

Thanks folks

L

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back