washing mashine trap or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does washing machine needs a trap ?My waste pipe from outside runs under kitchen floor then 90deg bend and vertical 40mm pipe which is about 20" long above floor level ,can I just sling the washing machine hose into it or do I need to install a trap ?? :oops:
If so which one ??

Sponsored Links
If you dont use a trap, you'll find that a smell will increasingly get worse.
Better to fit simple stand pipe behind machine or in cupboard next to machine.
You can also get inline traps that have a one way rubber flapper valve, which will let water through but wont let water?smells back.

I think there made by Hepworth plumbing

(Stand pipe....40mm p trap with long connection to fit hose into) Ask at any plumbers merchants etc.

The water in the hose is already trapped so that in theory could go straight outside. However if you have a 40mm waste pipe inside to take the hose, you want to put a trap on that waste pipe to stop smells and even insects of entering the house via the pipe. The usual solution if not using an adapter on the sink waste is to use a stand pipe as the connection often needs to be high enough to stop the machine being emptied prematurely!

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/431915

Could I fit a solvent weld tee on the vertical pipe and connect trap from there ?

Sponsored Links
Not on the stand pipe because it is polypropylene and will not accept solvent welding.

If the trap needs to be further away use your pipe and a running trap

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63996

Edit if you mean solvent weld a T into your existing vertical pipe then yes if it is the right material. If not use a pushfit T then either a standpipe or a running trap before you connect the washing machine.

You dont need a tee , unless the pipe you mention is for a sink or something, and you need more means of waste removal i.e sink dishwasher etc.

You said pipe comes up 20''?

So get a 40mm elbow or tee, whatever you need, either push fit or solvent weld,
Cut the pipe lower down, by siting the stand trap next to the pipe, then you'll know how far to cut it back, so the trap fits neatly off the floor, leaving enough space to get hose into top of stand pipe.

The pipe you cut off, use some of it to connect new elbow to elbow on stand pipe, by either glue it or push fit.
That way your materials list wont include new 40mm pipe!

A few holes for clips and your done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back