wasps

S

Sombrero

I have a birdbox in my garden that got attacked by squirrels. They ripped the wood away to make a huge hole. I made a plate to screw over the hole with a much smaller diameter (measurements from a reputable website!!), and a pair of tits did explore, but couldn't get in. It's now full of wasps...

They're quite close to where we eat outside etc, and I know wasps are more active in the latter part of the summer.

Should I call someone in? or leave them? or risk a ladder up the tree and a flat piece of timber screwed over the hole?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If the bird house can be easilly removed from the tree, then climb up, duct tape over the hole where they get in unhook the house from the tree and burn it (The bird house, not the tree)

If the bird house can be easilly removed from the tree, then climb up, duct tape over the hole where they get in unhook the house from the tree and burn it (The bird house, not the tree)
Or, stick duct tape over your mouth and burn your house down. Then look for some hole to live in.

Leave them. They are good for the garden. I love wasps.

Within the box there will be a nest. Within the nest there will be grubs waiting to hatch out. Killing the wasps will not kill the grubs so the generation is replaced. You need to destroy the nest as well as the flying wasps. Tape and burn seems the best solution but be aware that the tape will be the first thing to burn away so you could get a host of angry wasps coming out - including a ginormous queen. Once you've taped fix something more solid over the hole before you burn.

Or alternatively send the complete box to Joe-90

If you don't want wasps in your garden, put a fake wasp nest up somewhere, wasps won't compete for territory.

Get some ant powder from your local supermarket for under £2.
In the evening when they are more docile, puff some at the entrance/exit points.
Any returning wasps will soon spread it inside and within a few hours they will all be dead.

Ant powder contains the same stuff that the councils etc use and is very effective.
When I used some on my chimney nest it was very funny listening to the ping, ping, ping as they fell down onto the back of the fire minutes later.

Then later you can get up there and sort out the old nest, then wash it all down for the birdies.

Joe 90's solution is the best let them be,what is it with wanting to destroy nature,with the summers we get now they won't be very active anyway.

Plug the hole.

I had a wasp nest in my kitchen roof. I just plugged their entry point. No more wasps. Slight problem was dead wasps falling into the kitchen for a year or so when I changed duff spotlight bulbs.

Joe 90's solution is the best let them be,what is it with wanting to destroy nature,with the summers we get now they won't be very active anyway.

In October they will gorge on the dropped fermented apples and getting fighting drunk

Sponsored Links
Back