Waste conection for moved toilet: total beginner Sketch inc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically plumber did a runner, we have no toilet upstairs. The old toilet was demolished, and before the plumber left he cut the hole in the wall for the new waste.

The waste pipe connection is outside as we did not want boxed in pipes in the room.

2dt2kgz.jpg

If you take a look at my ten min cad drawing, the existing system is show in black/white (whichever is comes out in) and the proposed is in red.

The existing system is in cast and in pretty good condition.

Where you can see the wibbly redlines is where the existing cast system has been smashed back to by the cowboy plumber we used.

i`m considering getting a plumber round to put the toilet in but is the waste piping so hard??

Do i have this right: please follow and comment.

position toilet in bathroom, i need some form of rubber seal or adaptor to fit the toilet to the waste pipe that runs through the wall to outside (what is the name of this connector, are there many different sizes? i dont fancy taking the toilet to b&q :oops: )

if i then go from that pipe running through my wall to a 90 deg fixing as hown to the right (are these push fit fixings really that easy, you just push them?) then a section of plastic piping down at an angle down to our existing cast waste pipe.

The angle is defined by the Connector as shown to the left, i then run plastic piping as required to meet to the original cast sections.

now If i use some flexible cast iron to plastic pipe connectors (shown as red boxes> are these ok to use? seen them in B&Q)

thats it isnt it? the waste should be done? and as it uses the original soil pipe, which pertrudes through the eaves, its vented ok?

i`m sorting the plumbing to the shower at the moment, so i can sort a feed to the toilet through the floor. Toilet seems to have no overflow, i guess its some sort of internal contraption?

i greatly appreciate your help as its bloomin cold in the downstairs toilet.

Sponsored Links
Dammit, looks like having to replace the whole lot in plastic, which means removing the cast section (which goes through the roof)

i wont do that as cast is bloody heavy, looks like shelling out some £££££, rubbish.

I went ot all that effort to dust off my CAD skills to produce that master piece above, and no comments..

oh well i`ll just wait till monday and check it again... not as if i am in a rush for the toilet, i have been without one for 6 months now.

You'll need one of these
p3185110_x.jpg

Followed by 2 of these, one above and one below the soil pipe. You may be able to slide the tee onto the top of the cast iron pipe, it has a seal if you look but you'll definetly want a coupler on the bottom piece. They also sell branch tee's in b and Q without the seal at the top so the couplers below can be used both top and bottom. I went that route with someones bathroom and has been fine for years.

5412_thm.jpg

They are cast iron to plastic connectors. And plenty washing liquid so you can slide the couplers about and tighten with the jublilee clips.

This would involve you cutting away a section of cast iron pipe to accommodate these items. Cut the soil pipe so you can just slide the plastic waste in and then the couplers sit half on plastic and half on soil pipe. Make sure it's tight and get someone to help when cutting the soil pipe. You'll need a decent angle grinder.

Edit: didn't notice that plumber smashed the pipe in, why on earth did he do that...

Even i wouldn't want to fix that, I would get someone in and report the other guy, that is a big job for a diyer. what is the length of pipe that is now missing? In other words, what is the distance from one red squiggle to the other?

I would say that its about a 1m section missing.

I think its do-able based on what you are saying.

Those are the cast to plastic couplers i have seen, i was unsure if they would work. I should be able to cut the cast pipes back so they are square, ready for the rubber connectors.

I`m thinking one of the rubber couplers from the cast pipe to a small section of plastic, then to a suitable T, and another small bit of plastic pipe from the top of the T, up to the existing cast. (its going to look ****) but i`m in favour of this to get the bathroom sorted.

Edit: the soil pipe is clear of debris, its just the edges are a bit jagged.

Sponsored Links
It will look unsightly but without changing your whole soil pipe or a large section from the bathroom floor to the roof space it's the easiest cheapest option.

soils pipes look horrible in general. I boxed mine in and skimmed over it with plaster. Then it just blends into the decoration.

You have the right idea about what you need to do so goodluck! ;)

Well i managed to do this!

Infact once i had squared off the cast sections it was about a 600mm section that was missing.

Hardest bit was cutting the soil pipe with angle grinder, whilst on top ladder.

It all fitted together fine and poured some water down there to check. Its on the outside of house at the back, so looks a little unsightly but it does the job. I then went about sealing up all the old holes and made the bathroom considerably less draughty!

All in all not too bad, feels good doing something yourself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back