Waste from middle of kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of re-fitting a kitchen. I want to have an island sink unit but do not know the best way to get rid of the waste. I will be laying new floor tiles anyway so was looking at maybe going under the floor to the gully outside the kitchen. There looks to be a spigot on one side of the gully. I do not want to have to pump the waste out. Is this the best route to take? I am worried about going through the damp course. If this is the best route to take, can you tell me the the drop i need etc. The sink will sit approx 1.8m from the gully outside.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
marlb said:
I do not want to have to pump the waste out. Is this the best route to take?
Er, you have only two choices - above floor level or below.

I am worried about going through the damp course.
How high is your finished floor level above the DPM?

If this is the best route to take, can you tell me the the drop i need etc. The sink will sit approx 1.8m from the gully outside.
The gradient should be a minimum of 20mm per metre, so for 1.8 it would be at least 36mm. You should use waste pipe no smaller than 40mm (internal diameter).

I haven't come across many island sink units other than in new build and maybe this is the reason ;)

What about redesigning to have it somewhere else ... In front of the window is the usual place?

MW

megawatt said:
I haven't come across many island sink units other than in new build and maybe this is the reason
Probably - the bottom of the waste pipe (in this scenario) would be at least 82mm below the underside of the tiled surface by the time it reaches the external wall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back