Waste pipe from shower (and possibly hand basin) next door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have new neighbours next door and the guy who lives next door but one away, who is a heating engineer, has taken out the bath and fitted a shower for them. We live in a row of 4 cottages and at the rear of the cottages, there is a building that used to be stables and has been converted into living accommodation. The former stables come right up close to the rear of next door, such that they have zero room for a garden, and they can only access the rear of their house for emergency purposes through our garden. There has previously been no external waste pipe from the bathroom at the rear of next door's cottage, so I presume the water from the bath and hand basin has previously somehow been routed down through the kitchen and had gone out of the same pipe as the kitchen sink. However the heating guy from next door but one has routed a new pipe out through the rear wall and it hangs over a disused drainpipe. He has said he is going to fit a bend pipe and allow the water to drop out into the drainpipe. My main concern is that this is noise we've not previously had to put up with - at the moment when they have a shower the water is pouring out of the pipe like a tap running and water is going everywhere and it's as noisy as hell. Apparently it has been an oversight that he forgot to ask to come into our garden so he could fit the bend pipe, but I think it's going to be just as noisy after he's fitted the bend pipe. But my wife has raised the point that if next door moved out and someone else moved in with a baby, they might be washing poo or sick off things, or it could be someone who works with pigs or horses and comes home for a shower to get clean. I really don't see why we should listen to water being poured out from a thin waste pipe into an open top drainpipe, and surely be his cannot be hygienic with the pipe being open so to speak, rather than sealed and closed as I would expect it to be. Something makes me think he's capped off a pipe internally and had the water flow outside instead, but that he's just not thought this through fully - where do we stand on this because it seems like this is really taking the rip. I don't see why when we're sitting on the patio having a BBQ that we should now have to put up with this, but at the same time we don't want to fall out with next door or the heating engineer at next door but one.

Sponsored Links
Just tell him your concerns and ask him to do it differently, he might be able to bring this waste pipe down to the drain or take it back internally. Don't know the legality of it but if its a nuisance you may have a case. P.S. any pics ?

Does this "drainpipe" go to a foul drain? Even if it does, it sounds like he should at least be fitting a hopper head to it, which as far as I know is only allowed these days as a like for like replacement, not for a new installation.

Sponsored Links
If the disused drainpipe is a rainwater pipe it may not connect to the sewer but to a soakaway somewhere. Which would mean it can't take the water from a basin or shower.

I'll second Sooey, hoppers are only permitted as a direct replacement for an existing hopper, not as a new installation. Their use was banned due to the unsanitary nature of the design for handling waste water. Any new waste needs to be either directly routed to a drain or connected into a stack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back