Waste pipe to underside of ceramic sink.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6ACB8663-7201-4E7C-90CD-B5B3D43B834E.jpeg
70BBCC77-10AC-4BE8-BBD1-80FADFACE116.jpeg
732D47B9-7137-45CE-955D-0631455BAA73.jpeg
Hi all,

Bit of a novice to with plumbing jobs but in my garage there’s an old Belfast sink all plumbed up with the waste going to the outside drain.

To the underside there’s the waste pipe with a u bend, however this seems to be metal and looks as though it’s bonded to the underside of the sink.

Unfortunately with the cold weather it’s going to make a better collender than it is a pipe so needs swapping out.

Looking at it, is it something that looks possible? As mentioned it seems to be bonded to the underside of the sink. Is there a way of swapping the pipe or is it going to be less hastle just to replace the sink.

I’ve attached photos so hopefully they display properly!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It looks like a lead U bend where the lead has been 'wiped' around the sink outlet.
Nothing to be lost by cutting it away with the intention of eventually replacing the outlet rose with a conventional one and continuing with plastic.
Gan canny with it!
John :)

Thanks for that. Will the outlet hole in the sink likely be a standard size that I can get a plastic fitting for? Will lead be difficult to hack away?

For sure, I've only come across this on an ancient cast bath but once I got the thing away a conventional waste fitted fine.
I'd get in there with a hacksaw, which will cut the lead away but won't touch the ceramic..... Unlike an angle grinder for example. Nothing to lose, really!
Good luck with it!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Bit of a novice to with plumbing jobs but in my garage there’s an old Belfast sink all plumbed up with the waste going to the outside drain.

Unfortunately with the cold weather it’s going to make a better collender than it is a pipe

Many thanks.
Why do you assume it's going to freeze and then leak ? Just pour a small amount of car anti freeze mix into the trap and leave it over the winter. I could do the job but I certainly wouldn't waste time on it - then you'd have to find a slotted sink waste to fit the sink and get it to seal underneath ( you might get away with half a tube of silicone ) If you do go for it and get trouble, come back ;)

Sorry, just re-read that.... the cold weather has already done it’s work and it’s got about 5 cracks in it. So really it could do with replacing rather than patching up.

Ha ha, trust me to interpret it wrong - I do that all the time - Rip it out and get a waste (£15 on the net ) Trap and pipe you could get at a DIY shed ( maybe the waste too )(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back