Waste Pipe under Kitchen Cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys - recently moved to our new home and checked under the kitchen cupboards having noticed a draft coming from that area and also needed to carry out other works.

I noticed the waste pipe heading down into the ground through a square like hole which I gather is purpose built and 'standard' for a late 70's house. Attached is a photo I took, excuse the measuring tape.

Question - is this normal to have this or should I cover the hole (or have filled in)?

Is this safe the way it is?

Would really appreciate your input/thoughts.

Thank you in advance

Ben

Attachments

• Waste Pipe 1.jpg
    Waste Pipe 1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 867
Sponsored Links
your picture appears to show a plumbing duct. You could make a ply cover, by cutting a 100mm hole in a square piece, then cutting it in half to fit it round the pipe. Or you could stuff it with mineral wool to prevent draughts. I would put some mouse bait down it, and under the units in a saucer, so you can see if it gets taken.

your picture appears to show a plumbing duct. You could make a ply cover, by cutting a 100mm hole in a square piece, then cutting it in half to fit it round the pipe. Or you could stuff it with mineral wool to prevent draughts. I would put some mouse bait down it, and under the units in a saucer, so you can see if it gets taken.

Thanks, I have attached two further pictures. Does this confirm what you thought? Also is this OK the way it is?

Cheers

Ben

Attachments

• Waste Pipe 2.jpg
    Waste Pipe 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 707
  • Waste Pipe 3.jpg
    Waste Pipe 3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 729
yep

the drains are put in the ground before the oversite and the floors go down.

Sponsored Links
yep

the drains are put in the ground before the oversite and the floors go down.

Thank you - and I am safe to keep as is?

Intrigued about the mouse bait too.....just to ensure there is nothing down the hole or under my cupboards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back