Water Board Say Washing Machine Tainting Cold Supply??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum has been having problems with tainted water from her mains cold kitchen tap. The water board say that this may be back flow from the washing machine and dish washer that are plumbed into the pipe work near the main stop tap in the kitchen.

Is this likely? Has anyone ever heard of this before? They also suggested changing the hoses to these machines, and want to fit non-return valves on the pipes that supply them.

Does this make sense?

Sponsored Links
no expert here but surely the problem has to be something causing negative pressure and sucking back into the mains

does your mum live above the second floor!!

It is part of the water regulations that your pipework should have adequate protection to protect the cold water main from risk of contamination. Many appliances have an integral check valve in them but you would have to check in the M.I to see if they meet the water regulation requirements.
Fitting a double check valve is neither difficult or expensive (or shouldn't be). My advice would be get the name of a local plumber, get it done and save yourself a load of aggro

Thanks for your replies. She lives in a bungalow.

Will contact a plumber. Hope it solves the problem!

Sponsored Links
Some washing machine hoses and rubber washers can react with chlorine in the water giving it a bitter taste.

Final thoguht. you may want to look up or speak to the water regulations advisory council for any additional information

As far as I'm aware all washing machines and dishwashers are supplied with built-in backflow protection to fluid category 3 - they fill via a small break tank to achieve this.

Try turning off the valves to the WM and DW, run the cold tap to flush out the pipework then try tasting the water again. Also speak to neighbours and see if they have the same problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back