Water Charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm with United Utilities, unmetered and council band D - 3 bed semi. My annual water bill is almost 800 quid a year...... UU state the average is about 450 give or take.

Does 800 quid seem right? Fresh water is Fixed at £207 x 1.329 and standing charge is 80 quid. Waste water is Fixed at £207 x 2.07.

I thought unmetered water charges were based on council tax bands.... but I think they're based on some arbitrary value that was decided upon in 1970 when the house was built.

Just wondering what other peope pay in similar houses really....

Sponsored Links
band d surrey used to be £240 about 10 years ago 3 bed 2 people then water meter fitted around £100 for standing charges £2.50per unit disposal and supply as i am a clatty bugger 50 units off water used per year

Ours is approximately 25% cheaper now than it was 2 years ago since having a water meter fitted and we are not stingy with our use. Just the two of us having a longish shower each, each day and watering the garden when needed. May be different if you have 3 teenagers having a bath each day though!

Why not have a water meter fitted and see how you go? Most suppliers allow you to change back to unmetered within 2 years if it doesn’t work out for you. I’ve just checked and UU give two years to decide too.

Quite a bargain though even at 800 quid when one looks at the other things in life- we spend 10 grand a year on food, nearly 4 grand on electricity and 15 on the mortgage..

For water we're on a meter, about 600 a year, 5 people

Sponsored Links
Check you don't have a leak. Turn everything off and watch the little needle.

Back