Water collecting in corners of gutter system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Recently last year I have had new gutters installed to the extension part to my property (converted side garage into single storey room). It was installed by guttering professionals.

Recently after rain, I notice water is always stagnating on the two corners of the gutter. I told the professional installers of this and they said it was normal for some of the water to be always retained in the gutters. I personally don't think this should be the case (e.g. attracts dirt / moss build up etc?), but putting it to them they said that they have 20 years of guttering experience and that was their professional view that this is standard!

I was wondering if anyone (professional or any!) could give me a second opinion? Is this correct or are they just dismissing my problem?

Also if the water stagnating in the gutter is acceptable, will it cause any problems down the line?

Many Thanks in advance!
Sue

Sponsored Links
suesuesue said:
Recently after rain, I notice water is always stagnating on the two corners of the gutter.
The corner bracket or staight connector are lower than the gutter because it must have a gap for expansion, so there will always be water at the low point unless you're talking about a fair amount of water(?)

As the corners are unsupported it is normal for them to 'droop' slightly therefore holding water but this is not a problem if there are adequate falls.

The water will not stagnate as it will either be washed away with the next rainfall or evaporate

AS above , and some gutters are fixed level...that`s acceptable What I find unacceptable is the ones where there is loads of fascia showing above the gutter or a fall of about 1:10 on the things.....I reckon you`ve got 3 pro, opinions now ;)

Sponsored Links
As long there is a bracket each side of the 90 degree 6 inches away or less, then (providing its been installed correctly) don't worry about a bit of water collecting.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back