Water collecting on flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any suggestions about how to stop water collecting (ponding I think it's called) on my flat roof?
The roof's fairly new but everytime it rains I get a big puddle about 1cm deep in the middle.
I thought about pouring some of this liquid felt / liquid rubber stuff into the area where the water collects to level it off a bit. Would this work?
Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
flat roofs perform better if they are kept wet or cool. a little ponding aint gonna hurt none. thats the reason for chippings, to trap a little moisture and offer shade.

is yours a bitumen/felt type roof?

The roof is marine ply with two layers of felt / bitumen, sealed with a protective top coat. Will the water not ever eventually soak through?

Sponsored Links
Noseall, thanks for your advice mate, you've put my mind at rest.. Much appreciated.
I had the flat roof done about 5 years ago and it cost me just over a grand. I'm really regretting not having it fibreglassed, it was twice the price so I was put off but looking back on it I wish I'd forked out the extra money!

Matt100 said:
I'm really regretting not having it fibreglassed, it was twice the price so I was put off but looking back on it I wish I'd forked out the extra money!

do you think a fibreglass roof will last twice as long?

Matt100 said:
The roof is marine ply with two layers of felt / bitumen, sealed with a protective top coat. Will the water not ever eventually soak through?
yes.....eventually in 25 years time ;)

with respect, water should not pond on flat or any roof. All "flat" roofs should be laid to a fall to discharge all water. However, ponding is common and doesn't seem to cause medium term damage but if a leak does occur then you are going to get the whole lot in one go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back