Water coming into house, but dont know where!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im purchasing a house. We've exchanged contracts but not yet completing. The house is currently empty and Ive been around to keep an eye on it.

From a water pipe that is feeding the house I can hear a loud hissing noise of water running through the pipe. Does this mean there's a tap left on or a leak somewhere!? I have been in there to check and there is no sign of anything been left on - or signs of a leak. Ive even been in the loft and looked in the header tank which is stone dry. Theres no water coming out of the overflow pipe.

That water must be going somewhere! Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I can offer some suggestions where I have seen the symptoms you describe. However, if the "header tank which is stone dry" that suggests that the water supply to the property may have been turned off anyway!

1) Some WC's don't have an external overflow now but simply discharge down the pan. The water flow is not always visible.
2) Is there an unvented hot water cylinder? These can discharge water into a tundish that is corrected to a drain so again not always readily evident.
3) Sound can travel along pipes. There may be a leak underground outside the property, or maybe even just water being used by a neighboring property.
4) An outside tap somewhere? maybe with a hosepipe connected so the discharge point is not obvious.

Thanks Stem.

But if "... the water supply to the property may have been turned off anyway" why am I hearing it running through the pipe leading into the house?

In answer to your suggestions:

1) The bathroom is very old (pre 80's) so I dont think it discharges within the pan.
2) Would the unvented hot water cylinder be sited in the loft? I shall take a look. From memory the loft just contained a header tank.
3) I can rule out water being used by a neighbouring property (the sound is always on). I got the drains checked by a drainage company last month, so would they have picked up on any leaks?
4) There is an outside tap - but its turned off. I can see no other outside taps.

If the main stop-tap is closed then there won't be any water entering the house. Unless there is a leak in the 20cm or so of pipe below the stop-tap, and if there was, you would see it.

As you say the header tank is empty, it is possible that only the water supply to the header tank has been turned off and the main stop-tap is still on. But you should be able to check this.

If the property has a water meter, take a reading and then take another one a day later and see if the reading has gone up.

Sponsored Links
I did turn of the main stop-tap and the hiss went down a bit, but not completely. (Maybe the tap is faulty and cant be fully closed). I know nothing about plumbing - let alone the plumbing that's at the property - so I may need to contact a plumber.

If the property has a meter where would this likely be? (inside or outside?)

If you are concerned - pay for a plumber to come out and check it over - I think this is worth doing whenever you think about buying a property - do not trust previous owners, estate agents or even surveys - they don’t look past their noses.

If the property has a meter where would this likely be? (inside or outside?)
It could be either. Generally if inside they are close to the main stop-tap. If outside under a small cover. Often marked 'Water Meter'

Phone the water board first, they will tell you if there is a leak between you internal and external stoptaps for free.

Phone your solicitor and ask him/her to write a letter asking if there is any leak in or around the property as water can be 'heard'. State in the letter that if after signing contracts (within 72hrs) then any water supply problems will be settled by the seller.

As mentioned above, just pay a plumber an hours labour to check it for you.

Andy

Sadly, if you've exchanged contracts, any repairs are down to the purchaser. It's a good idea to check that you have full insurance cover for the building as, once you've exchanged contracts, the responsibility for the building passes to the purchaser.

With South-West Water I believe you are allowed one leak in any three year period, so you shouldn't have to pay for lost water at least.

Phone your solicitor and ask him/her to write a letter asking if there is any leak in or around the property as water can be 'heard'. State in the letter that if after signing contracts (within 72hrs) then any water supply problems will be settled by the seller.

As mentioned above, just pay a plumber an hours labour to check it for you.

Andy

Given that yjones has been in the property tampering with the stopcock and who knows what else (before he has even completed on the property???), the vendor would be a fool to agree to any such clause. For all they know yjones has caused this leak - if there even is one.

The time to raise these queries was way before exchange during an inspection and/or relevant survey.

This is yjones' problem now and in my opinion he should start by first locating the external water metre (if there is one) and turning the water off there, to establish if the 'hissing' stops.

This is confusing, how come the OP has not yet completed on the purchase but has access to the property?

Andy

Viewing?

They will tell you if the leak is your or theirs, if it's yours you can get a contractor or go through your insurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back