Water coming out dishwasher pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondered if this was normal busy painting the kitchen cupboards.

I've removed the dishwasher piping but noticed when we run the tap in the sink water is coming out the dishwasher pipe, if we run the tap slow it's fine and doesn't overflow out.

Is this normal as that would mean the dishwasher pipe would have dirty water going into it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220206_153814_edit_109429444396843.jpg
    IMG_20220206_153814_edit_109429444396843.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20220206_153818_edit_109408514227054.jpg
    IMG_20220206_153818_edit_109408514227054.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
Yes, it's normal, that appliance spigot drain is part of the waste system at the same level as the trap so it will leak water if you use the sink. You need to block it off if you don't want it to leak. You do get caps or blanks that will allow it to be temp sealed.

th

Is this normal as that would mean the dishwasher pipe would have dirty water going into it.

The dishwasher drain should enter the waste (the bit that's leaking water) from higher up so won't be an issue.

Yes, it's normal, that appliance spigot drain is part of the waste system at the same level as the trap so it will leak water if you use the sink. You need to block it off if you don't want it to leak. You do get caps or blanks that will allow it to be temp sealed.

th
Thank you

It's only whilst I'm painting it'll be back in tomorrow

Sponsored Links
yes it's normal however the water should only enter the end bit of the pipe not the dishwasher itself. This is why the dishwasher pipe must loop up as high as possible (to the overflow level of the sink) otherwise the sink water drains back into the dishwasher and makes it stink. Make sure that's the case that it loops up.

yes it's normal however the water should only enter the end bit of the pipe not the dishwasher itself. This is why the dishwasher pipe must loop up as high as possible (to the overflow level of the sink) otherwise the sink water drains back into the dishwasher and makes it stink. Make sure that's the case that it loops up.

Just reconnected the pipe and it's impossible to loop the pipe higher or it won't reach

Just reconnected the pipe and it's impossible to loop the pipe higher or it won't reach
You can get extensions and use basically jubilee clips to connect them. You can go up to a couple of extra metres with the standard dishwasher pump, check the manual for the exact limits. Although you won't need much extra hose and you can probably cut it down with care

Last edited:
Would it be possible to change the bit the dishwasher waste is connected too? Anyone know what I should be looking for a similar pipe ending but with it adjustable so I can point it upwards?.

Think I've found what I was looking for

ae235.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20220206_153814_edit_109429444396843.jpg
    IMG_20220206_153814_edit_109429444396843.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Any advice on how to expand the dishwasher pipe sure it's 17mm but I can't get it over the outlet connector :mad: or is it just a case of brute forcing it?

Wondering if the previous owner has chopped the end of the hose off and that's why I'm having problems trying to connect it.
IMG_20220210_192036.jpg

That's exactly what they've done. It should be a rubber end on that. You can sometimes get away with heating it in a cup of boiling water out of the kettle to soften it enough to stretch.

That's exactly what they've done. It should be a rubber end on that. You can sometimes get away with heating it in a cup of boiling water out of the kettle to soften it enough to stretch.

Thanks yeah thought it was strange compared to the washing machine hose.

I'll have a look again tomorrow just means got the hassle of taking the dishwasher out again & maybe the washing machine to get the hose back through :cry:.

At least it means I won't need to use the extension kit if I get a longer hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back