Water coming up between grouting - bathroom floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently noticed when standing on a floor tile in the bathroom that there is water coming up from the grouting.

I have resealed the shower unit and ensure a towel is down to catch excess but this water has not dried up.

I've checked under the floor from the adjacent room and cannot see any noticeable dripping from pipework.

Where is this most likely be coming from? It's definitely only water, no waste. I've run drain cleaner down the pipes incase they were blocked and backing up but didn't seem to make a difference.

It's on the first floor so concerned it'll deteriorate the flooring. Presume best method is to pull up the tiled floor and inspect? I understand the grouting has failed but seems OK in the shower but I've ct1d the joints as a temporary measure just incase.

Sponsored Links
Is it a concrete floor?
1st floor, timber. Presume they've put a sheet material over the floorboards but who knows in this house.

I'm getting no damp in the roof of the kitchen which is directly below although it did leak through the coving a while back before I resealed the shower.

It might be coming from anywhere and running under the tiles.

Examine all the pipes you can see. But it might be out of sight.

Is the WC cistern walled in?

Are the shower pipes tiled over?

Is there a panelled-in bath?

Sponsored Links
It might be coming from anywhere and running under the tiles.

Examine all the pipes you can see. But it might be out of sight.

Is the WC cistern walled in?

Are the shower pipes tiled over?

Is there a panelled-in bath?
WC cistern isn't leaking, i replaced this recently as it had been overflowing.

Shower pipes are tiled over, this is my worry.

It's a low walk in shower tray.

The water appears to pool only in the middle of the bathroom but i presume running to the lowest point.

Have a look at your pipe joints.
Good shout. Toilet had been silicone to the tiles which was a clever decision.

I couldn't see any water leaking before but I didn't put my phone down. Waste pipes are definitely dry.

Some photos from under the floor. The drips were wiped and didn't return so weren't from the pipe joints.

20240401_110500.jpg
20240331_113339.jpg
20240331_112844.jpg

If it's under the tiles, the source must be above the floorboards.

Some screws have gone through the floorboard and could have punctured a pipe. Also a noticeable drip on the copper pipe near the push fit elbow

Some screws have gone through the floorboard and could have punctured a pipe. Also a noticeable drip on the copper pipe near the push fit elbow
Which screws? The drip was wiped and nothing returned on this. I imagine it's just run through from the tiling above and gathered.

This is a recent issue.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Which screws? The drip was wiped and nothing returned on this. I imagine it's just run through from the tiling above and gathered.

This is a recent issue.
These screws, although only short, still gone through, so where the pipes are touching the floorboard underneath further back could have punctured the pipe.

Attachments

• 70AE6730-8FB6-4F34-BFB9-ABF87D6FAFCE.jpeg
    70AE6730-8FB6-4F34-BFB9-ABF87D6FAFCE.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 34
These screws, although only short, still gone through, so where the pipes are touching the floorboard underneath further back could have punctured the pipe.
Good spot. These are radiator pipes and I'm losing no bar pressure though?

• Thanks
No worries, just a theory.
I appreciate it. I know the question is vague as it could be from anywhere, just wanted some hints.

Seems to be no common for duration of appliance use to water coming up through tiles

If it were me, i would lift the tiles. Trace where the water is coming from. My best guess is the shower!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back