grout to fill hole in tiles around bathroom radiator? noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My bathroom fitter has filled the holes in the floor tiles where the rad pipes come up with tile grout. The radiator creaks and clicks loudly when it's heating up. Might this be because the grout is preventing the pipes from expanding? If so, how do I remove the grout now and what do I replace it with?

Sponsored Links
Its worth checking the rad itself first......look at the wall brackets - they should have a plastic slider where the radiator hangs. These allow the rad to expand length wise.
A very common issue!
John :)

Thanks John. It's complicated by the fact it's a tall vertical "designer" radiator and I can't see the brackets. It's not a towel rail type...panel. Do you think the grout is unlikely to be causing the problem?

Its obviously impossible for me to be certain, but the radiator will expand much more than the pipes due to the size - hence they create more noise generally.
Anyway, there's nothing to stop you carefully scraping the grout away, and replacing it with some silicone of the same colour.

Sponsored Links
You might consider removing the grout and fitting pipe collars. They are available in white, chrome, wood etc from many places. Just a thought.

Thanks John and Pete. I tried scraping the grout with the point of a Stanley knife but din't get very far. Any tips on how to attack it? I'm not really used to diy etc. Mandy

Scrape in there with an old small screwdriver.....just dig out a bit at a time, and don't stab the pipe! (Not trying to be patronising there but its easily done!)
P.S Still likely to be the rad itself!
J

Thanks John and Pete. I tried scraping the grout with the point of a Stanley knife but din't get very far. Any tips on how to attack it? I'm not really used to diy etc. Mandy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back