Water conditioners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering a water conditioner for the house I've just moved to (4 bedrooms, two bathrooms). I bought a ScaleWatcher at my previous place, but to be honest I'm looking for something a bit cheaper this time. Anyone have any recommendations?
Also, what's best - attaching it to the rising main, or to the cold water feed into the heating system? Or does it make no difference? :)

Sponsored Links
IanJ said:
I'm considering a water conditioner for the house I've just moved to (4 bedrooms, two bathrooms). I bought a ScaleWatcher at my previous place, but to be honest I'm looking for something a bit cheaper this time. Anyone have any recommendations?
Depend how much you want to pay and you get what you pay for.There is only one manufacter I know that have a money back guarantee with a 97% satisfied customer.
Also, what's best - attaching it to the rising main, or to the cold water feed into the heating system? Or does it make no difference? :)
Rising main but make sure the heating system get it as well

It is very difficult to find independant or scientific information about these water conditioners, and how they work (of if they work reliably and repeatably). Look here . A siliphos unit which works by a known chemical action at a rate of 5g/cu m or less is available for about £100 and £18 a year replenishment. This prosess has been used in industrial and commercial applications for many years.

Not sure if I read the post correctly?

Do you want a water conditioner for water softening or a scalewatcher for controlling the scales ?

Sponsored Links
Hi masona - I want to control hard water scale - but I don't want a water softener that changes the chemical composition of the water.
Any recommendations? ScaleWatcher looks like a market leader, but are their cheaper comparable alternatives?
Also, I don't have room on the rising main beneath my kitchen sink to fit it. Could it go on the blue plastic feed pipe instead?

I don't know how much you want to spend,I saw these people at the Ideal Home Show in London and they are the only company who will give you your money back after 6 months if you're not satisfied with it.The 'Which's and most DIY magazine couldn't fault it and won 9 awards.For your size of the house is approx £286 buying online.I will be doing this when I'm ready as I have nothing to lose.There are cheaper one but failed the which's tests,having said that,I don't have the latest information.
See this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back