Water Conservation

Softus said:
Unless you're a shareholder it's no longer any of your business (or mine) how efficient they are in being profitable.

It is our business if these companies are so inefficient as to not fix leaks that then mean that consumers have to bear the brunt of water shortages.

I must admit that the media have done very well to turn the issue round such that its the consumers fault that theres water shortages. Nothing of course do to with the fact that....

- Houses continue to be built without infrastruture upgrades
- Leaks dont get fixed for months
- We still dont have a national water grid system (it was proposed 20 years ago and thrown out)
- We continue to populate over populated parts of the uk
- There are no real incentives for the consumer to save water

Sponsored Links
mark.carline said:
It is our business if these companies are so inefficient as to not fix leaks that then mean that consumers have to bear the brunt of water shortages.
No - you're talking about failure to meet standards, which is very much not the same thing as inefficiency.

Consumer interests (particularly the environmental ones) are represented by OFWAT, who regulate the water companies and monitor their performance according to defined criteria. If you don't like the criteria, then write to OFWAT. If you don't like the way a water company is run, then buy some shares in it and vote at the shareholders' meetings. In fact, do anything except moan and bleat about a company who makes a profit when making a profit is what they're supposed to be doing.

I must admit that the media have done very well to turn the issue round such that its the consumers fault that theres water shortages.
It is the consumers' fault. We have the water system that we deserve.

- There are no real incentives for the consumer to save water
Does this mean that you believe that consumers waste water?

Softus said:
No - you're talking about failure to meet standards, which is very much not the same thing as inefficiency.

u sure ? - If I only got 10 miles per gallon out of my car then I would say that its certainly not up to standard and also very inefficient! Thankfully its a good german make (Audi A2) and I get around 60 !

Softus said:
.....making a profit is what they're supposed to be doing.

Hmm - I thought that water companies where there to provide water. I guess if I dont like my water company then I can just choose to get my water from somewhere else - oh hang on...no a can't. Ah :eek:

Softus said:
It is the consumers' fault.

If its the consumers fault then how could / can the consumer have helped with all these leaks. When we report that theres a major leak it doesnt get fixed for months (quote: Leek in wilmslow that has been running for 2 months that united utilities are too busy to fix!)

Lets just get things into perpective. Thames Valley waste 900,000,000 litres of water per day and based on the average loo flush of 4 litres thats 225,000,000 loo flushes thats been wasted *JUST* around the thames valley area.

What you do say - "If its yellow let it mellow if its brown flush it down".

My ar$e.

mark.carline said:
Oh yes, I'm quite sure.

Hypothetically said:
If I only got 10 miles per gallon out of my car then I would say that its certainly not up to standard and also very inefficient!
You're entitled to think that, but your car is not a water company regulated by OFWAT.

Softus said:
.....making a profit is what they're supposed to be doing.
Hmm - I thought that water companies where there to provide water.
Well then, you're naïve. Fresh water and sewage treatment are the services that they provide. The companies were created to save our government money, and they exist to make a profit.

Today's water companies inherited the legacy of a decrepit infrastructure after decades of underinvestment. Personally, I believe they're doing an ok job of making improvements. Not great, just ok. And if they can make a profit out of it, then they won't go bust in the process.

I guess if I dont like my water company then I can just choose to get my water from somewhere else - oh hang on...no a can't. Ah :eek:
As you've already realised, it's best to avoid making stupid guesses. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
It is the consumers' fault.
If its the consumers fault then how could / can the consumer have helped with all these leaks.

1. By not persistently voting to power the nearest this country has ever had to a fascist dictator.

2. By lobbying your MP about the situation, when you had the chance.

3. By writing to OFWAT.

4. By purchasing shares in the nationalised resource that we all used to collectively own.

Let me know if you can't think of any more ways in which we all could have helped, and I'll no doubt be able to do some more thinking on your behalf.

When we report that theres a major leak it doesnt get fixed for months (quote: Leek in wilmslow that has been running for 2 months that united utilities are too busy to fix!)
Hm. So, where and when was the last leak that you personally reported? And how long did it take to be fixed?

Sponsored Links
I wish you lot would stop pinching my post.
And let me know if there is such a valve on the market.
Thanks.
JonB

Dear Softus,
Thanks for that, the 3 way looks like what I`m after but a bit pricey at £112.
Cheers
JonB

Indeed so, but you could always have a 40mm tee and two of the two way valves - much cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back