1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Water damage to external door

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by Casa, 4 Sep 2021.

1. Casa

Casa

Thanks Received:
    Friends

I have an external plywood door on my storage area which gets battered by rain and water has seeped through the Dulux Weathershield paint applied 4 years ago and the outer veneer has started to blister and chaff.

Is it worth trying to sand it down and repair it or just replace the door.

If so what door material would you recommend? It’s for my bike shed so I need it secure to prevent anyone breaking in.

Are pre-primed doors any good?

How much should I expect a carpenter to charge to remove existing door and replace it using the ironmongery from the original door.

See attached pics.

Thanks all so much.

Any advice appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Needs a drip bar top and bottom , but exposed doors will rot quickly as they have no shelter from weather .The base of the door usually goes first .

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Casa

Casa

Thanks Received:
    You’re absolutely right. That’s exactly where it’s gone from. Bottom is worse effected. Maybe change the door and install a canopy over it to prevent water hitting the wood. It’s lasted 4 years but I don’t think it’ll last another 4.

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe look for second hand Uvpc door and frame .Timber is not going to last long in exposed position.

6. Sponsored Links