Water damage to external door

Reaction score
Friends

I have an external plywood door on my storage area which gets battered by rain and water has seeped through the Dulux Weathershield paint applied 4 years ago and the outer veneer has started to blister and chaff.

Is it worth trying to sand it down and repair it or just replace the door.

If so what door material would you recommend? It’s for my bike shed so I need it secure to prevent anyone breaking in.

Are pre-primed doors any good?

How much should I expect a carpenter to charge to remove existing door and replace it using the ironmongery from the original door.

See attached pics.

Thanks all so much.

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 320815950.jpg
    iOS Image - 320815950.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 85
  • iOS Image - 897815713.jpg
    iOS Image - 897815713.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 79
  • iOS Image - 3688071613.jpg
    iOS Image - 3688071613.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 80
  • iOS Image - 1549833536.jpg
    iOS Image - 1549833536.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Needs a drip bar top and bottom , but exposed doors will rot quickly as they have no shelter from weather .The base of the door usually goes first .

Needs a drip bar top and bottom , but exposed doors will rot quickly as they have no shelter from weather .The base of the door usually goes first .

You’re absolutely right. That’s exactly where it’s gone from. Bottom is worse effected. Maybe change the door and install a canopy over it to prevent water hitting the wood. It’s lasted 4 years but I don’t think it’ll last another 4.

Sponsored Links
Maybe look for second hand Uvpc door and frame .Timber is not going to last long in exposed position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back