water damaged ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry if I am re-covering old ground but I can't really find an answer to question. My ceiling was flooded a week ago and I reckoned this hot weather would have dried it out but it is still wet. I know it is the two thick layers of rockwall being more absorbent than I gave it credit for and slowly giving up its water.

Q1 The rock wall is really inaccessible so I really don't want to rip it out - does any one know of a ducted fan system I can use to dry it out in sections?

Q2 When the plasterboard is dry will it be as strong as before? It has no bows or sags but plenty of visual 'tide marks'

I don't want to make an insurance claim if I can help it. I made a big claim last year (arson in a barn) and also don't want the inconvenience of a new ceiling (four of us in a two bed flat)

thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The best way would be to remove the layers of rockwall if possible, which will let the air in to dry it out, but apart from a de-humidifier, that's about it. Any amount of water leaking onto plasterboard is not a good thing, but if,, as you said in your post the ceiling has no bows or sags, then you can count yourself lucky. The tide marks you refer to will cover if you paint over them with an "oil based" undercoat,,, (smelly stuff). Go over the whole ceiling with it to make it all the same, and then emulsion the ceiling as normal. Better getting it all dried out first though as you said.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Yep TM1 it would as Joe said, but you'll pay a lot more for a tin of stain blocker than you would for a tin of oil based undercoat, when undercoat does the same job. I use it all the time on water stains,, and also to seal in old surfaces that I think might need it before skimming.

Roughcaster.

I'd prefer PVA for skimming. Plaster doesn't stick too well to fresh oil based paints.

I would normally use a PVA/bonding slurry onto any painted surface, but on a stained ceiling etc,, i'd use the undercoat first, then pva slurry.

Roughcaster.

sorry for lack of replies - we've moved into my parents' house with no internet.

Above the ceiling is two layers of rockwool where there isn't CWSC and boiler f&e cistern. Ashamed to say that I still haven't removed this rockwool to dry out.

Life has been unravelling here on so many levels, but thanks for advice, especially roughcaster.

I still haven't removed this rockwool to dry out.
that was indeed what I was going to recommend. plaster ceilings are thin and will try out fast if uncovered :( if wet will fall apart and encourage rot and woodlice in the timbers :( :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back