Water damaged/cracked ceiling - how repair?

n_m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My kitchen ceiling has cracks in the corner - see photos. It's been like this for as long as I can remember. FYI this is in a Victorian terrace.

I'm going to get a trades person in fix this, and my questions are:

- What trade is best to repair? I've guessed at plasterer - hence posting on this forum - but is that correct?

- What needs to be done to fix this? I'm just after a rough idea. Entire ceiling replaced? Or can they operate on one corner? I assume what's there must be replaced and cannot be patched?

Advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_20230108_160538.png
    IMG_20230108_160538.png
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20230108_160613.png
    IMG_20230108_160613.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
That seems to be plasterboard, so you need a plaster to look at it. If the plasterboard is sound, then a decorator might be able to sort it - it will need a decorator either way, after the plaster.

Hi

This problem offers a great opportunity to reduce energy costs if you're (and mates) are up for a bit of DIY.

I faced a similar problem 40 years ago in my Edwardian place. The ceilings were (still are) lath and plaster. After securing back any detached board with plasterboard screws ( I tied my sagging plaster back to the lathes with bonding, and patch repaired any missing pieces. Then I screwed 25 x 50 mm tantalised batons to the joist undersides to give a gap for affixing 25mm Kingfisher insulation to the old ceiling plaster. I then screwed 24001200mm x 12.5mm TAPPER EDGED plasterboard (Foil backed is best) to the new joists; thereby creating a new ceiling surface..You then just affix special paper tape in the grove (I prefer to use pva glue before then using the special filler to 'loose' the tapered gap making it level with the board. Having sanded down the the filler to give an invisible connection between the boards, You need to use a sealer (! or 2 coats) to give a finish any professional plaster would be proud of. After 40 years, you can't see any crack or joint lines in any of the 6 rooms I've treated this way. If the rooms are on the top floor, you could use 50x50 batons and insert 50mm Kingspan to increase loft insulation.

A bit of hard work but a low cost way of getting a great result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back