Water/Damp on the floor - New Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I've recently purchased a new build from Red Row which i haven’t moved into yet as they are still working on it. When i say they're still working on it i mean the house is complete/finished but they are touching things up (snagging). With the recent bad weather up here in the North of England and our garden on a slope i thought i best go check on the garden to ensure the garden isn’t flooded and that there’s sufficient draining etc... When i got there the garden looked fine, however i went back round to the front and had a peep through the lounge window, when i did i could see damp/water on the concrete floor against the outer wall. I thought that cant be good and its a good job the carpets haven’t been fitted else we'd of never know about the issue. I took pictures of it which can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwdlF9myUVWqQ3hOcFpKTFIySFk&usp=sharing

Another thing i noticed which i forgot to take a picture of is the outer wall where the water seems to be coming from look really weird, like it was all shiny and looked like it had a load of condensation on it. I emailed Red Row but obviously as the site is closed till 4th Jan and people not working i wasn’t expecting a response from them any time soon.

I went back to the property a few days later to see if the wetness/damp had gone but instead it seemed to have spread out more which again cant be a good thing, picture below:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwdlF9myUVWqUU9ER2pGWXpkakk&usp=sharing

I noticed someone was in the Sales office and i told a guy that works for Red Row, he walked up to the property himself and saw it and got in touch with his area manager, his area manager told him to ring the emergency helpline and get them to look at it. He did that but he was told because of the floods they are prioritising the emergencies and our new build wont be classed as an emergency as theres no flowing water (understandable).

So my questions to everyone on here is do you know what may cause the damp/wetness to be on the floor along the outside wall? If theres a leak then what damage can it cause? Will things like insulation need to be replaced if its all wet or will it just dry out and be fine? Will it cause any damp/mold issues to the walls in the future.

Another concern i have is that there are floor tiles down in the kitchen/dining/family room and i cant tell if theres any water/damp on the tiles against the same wall, lets say there is as there might be an issue with the outer wall, will it cause damage if theres water under the tiles i.e make the tiles loose/come apart from the thing making them stick to the floor?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated please.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back