Water doesn't seem to heat up on Centercyl HE 85

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could help me. I am using a centercyl HE 85 hot water cylinder with a
Time Guard 24 hour timer. Since this morning water just comes out lukewarm for some reason. The timer is set to 24 hours. I don't know much about plumbing so would really appreciate if someone could help me figure out what the problem is.

Thanks,
Terrence

Sponsored Links
Is the timeguard timer connected to an immersion heater? and what model of timer is it?

It could be the timer itself or if controlling an immersion heater it could be the heater element and finally still with an immersion heater it could be the thermostat.

Knowing what model it is and what it is connected to it will help you to find out. Do you have either an electric test meter or something as simple as a electric test screwdriver with neon to test for live conductors?

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the Time Guard timer is connected to the immersion heater. The model of the Time guard meter is TS900B.

This morning I increased the thermostat of the immersion heater to full and the water was getting warm again. All these years we kept it at minimum and the water was nice and hot. I don't understand what has happened now. Do you think it could be the Thermostat?

If you have hot water again after turning it up, yes I think your thermostat may be on the way out.

With a bit of luck it will be the type you can withdraw from a built in thermostat tube on the immersion heater. Easy to replace when it goes. Just buy another of the same length after you take it out. No plumbing required with that (unlike the heater element!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td3SuGeTefM

Sponsored Links
I changed the Thermostat yesterday and left it at 65 degrees, usually at this setting the water would heat up within 20-25 minutes but last night it took nearly 4 hours to heat up and even then the water wasn't as hot as it usually would be.

You wouldn't expect a 3kw immersion to heat a full cylinder of water in 25 minutes.

Measuring the temperature of the hot water (you can use a food thermometer in a cup of running hot water) would be the best way to set the thermostat.

Does the water eventually get hot or just lukewarm?

The water eventually got hot last night.

I think I've solved the problem now. I replaced the timer with an Isolator switch and let the water heat up for about an hour. The water seems nice and hot now. So I'm guessing the Timer was faulty. I'll let the water heat up for a couple of hours and update on the results.

Thanks for all your help mate. :)

Hi lads,

Just a quick update. Today after I replacing the timer, water started to heat up eventually but after a while I heard a loud buzzing noise coming from the Immersion heater. I switched off everything and decided to replace the heater. I'm so glad I did. The element of the old heater had cracked. After replacing the it, everything is back to normal now. The water heated up within half an hour.

Thank you for all your help. Have a great 2014 :D

Terrence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back