Water Dripping Heavily From Boiler Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I've recently had a WB 37cdi installed. The flue is horizontal through the garage wall. I have noticed the plume is very think (this may be because of the cold weather, but compared to my neigbours, it is excessive). The main thing that concerns me is the wetness on the wall and floor underneath the flue. It has a heavy amount of water dripping from it... Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
The flue should rise from the boiler to outside so any condensate falls back into it and not out onto the floor. If your boiler has a huge plume then it's probably because the ch is turned up high. This stops the boiler from condensing and increases plume size.

Thanks for that, so just to confirm, the flue should rise at an angle so the dripping water runs back into the boiler? Do you think I could change this myself? The hole in the wall will already be cut... is there enough room to move the flue up without leaving a big gap in the wall? Or should I point out to the installer?

Sponsored Links
Slow down a bit !

Most short flues now have the slope built into the terminal section.

They can be easily identified because the inner tube exits from off centre. This should be uppermost when installed.

Even so I suppose some nupty installer could then still fit the flue the wrong way round. Usually the inner part has a cowl at the top !

When working on full power the velocity of the discharge often does push some drops of water out of the terminal even when its correctly installed.

A photo of the terminal would help us to confirm the situation.

Tony

I can can confirm that on my correctly installed combi that I do get a slight bit of water arrive at the end.
This water tends to hang around at the end and not drip on the floor.

The position of that flue is against the regs, its far to close to the window (i'm using the bricks to count distance).
You need to have a plume managment kit fitted - the installer should have known this (and prob did).

With regards to the dripping please take off the bird mesh and take a side view pic.

Seriously get the installer back he has questions to answer RE: flue position.

I doubt it's a bathroom with a boiler in that location. Utility room of some sort?

Hopefully the OP can clear this up then.

Is the window to the left of the flue a openable window?

Is the window to the left of the flue a openable window?

No. It's a non-opening window. Boiler is fitted understairs.

I posted the picture merely to demonstrate that condensing flues,even correctly installed ones, can appear to drip. Strictly speaking the icicles are not caused by dripping from the flue in this case but by the pluming passing through the terminal guard,which then drips.

Just another thing I noticed, the flue out the boiler is about 2m across the garage before it exits through the wall (basically two 1m lengths of flue joined together). This does not look like there is a bracket anywhere holding the length - again is this ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back