Water ejected from flue pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We've recently had a new condensing boiler installed in our airing cupboard. The flue pipe goes up into the loft, bends through 90 degrees, and then runs about 15 feet to the exhaust vent in the gable wall.

When the boiler first starts up, some water is ejected from the flue vent for the first few minutes, and then stops.

Is this just condensation that has built up in the pipe whilst the boiler was turned off? or does it mean there's a problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would guess its not a problem from your description and that as you say it may be condensation drawn in to the boiler when first fired up, when you say water is ejected do you mean something like spluttering drops of water ?

Its hard to say without seeing it, in normal operation does the condensate drain away properly ?

You could always call the installer and ask them to investigate it .

has the flue been installed according to MI's?
if there isnt enough fall on the flue, back to the boiler, then you will experience the problem you have described.

if it just a couple of drops tho, it shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for your replies

It's probably about a pint of water in all, so not too much.

I don't see it as a big problem if it isn't going to effect the boiler, unless someone is standing under the flue at the time!

I suppose over time a stain will apprear on the concrete path below from the residues in the flue?

I'll have to give the installer a call. I just wanted your opinions first in case he tries to fob me off that it's all normal... :)

Sponsored Links
A pint is not normal, as said it sounds like you do not have enough fall on the flue

Its probably water collecting in the horizontal section.

That should slope back to the boiler at about 3 degrees. Perhaps 15mm per metre run.

It needs to consistantly slope along the whole length. Use fishing line or similar to run a line tightly along the full length and see if its straight.

I suspect there will be a dip !

Did he complete the Benchmark Certificate and notify to Building Control ?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back